Where's my bloody MBP update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by me_flay, Jan 24, 2012.

1. me_flay macrumors newbie

me_flay

My 17" MBP is turning 3 now getting rusty, and honestly, I haven't seen or noticed any remarkable changes since then. I'm really really getting grumpy now, all iPhone here and iPad there. What about the business and clients that ones supported the growth of this now oh so wealthy company?? Give it a few years an it'll all be iGadgets. And I'll be hating myself for being that loyal and having bought like all iPhone released yet. Appears like I cursed myself being neglected. Makes it even worse.

I feel like one of them loyal Saab buyers, getting the dish served as "the cream" while it's all same same. I want a REAL update now or at least some hints to cope with a few more months of rattling screws waiting.

Sorry for that, I know. But I needed that. Moan moan moan.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Lol what?

Are you saying you have a 2008 MBP and feel like nothing newer or better has come along?

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Lol. Intel has to release Ivy Bridge processors before apple has anything to update with.

4. simsaladimbamba

Tja, da mußte wohl in die Weser springen, um Dich abzukühlen.

I assume, you mean NEW FRACKING DESIGN? Did you know, that Apple used the G4 PowerBook / MacBook Pro design for more than five and a half years (1/2003 till 10 /2008)? And the design before that for only two years?

As the MBPs have just been, albeit only slightly, updated in 10/2011 and the new chips will arrive in March / April 2012, there is a big chance of getting a new update (internally) in Q2 / 2012.

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Yeah right. Who needs better hardware... I must have a redesign so all my friends can see that I have a new MBP!!!

6. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

Not to mention the mac pro form factor has been the same for 9 years. I think apple really hit its stride with the unibody models and I don't see them going away for something new in the next year at least, but I think very soon we will be seeing some sort of hybrid of the MBA style and MBP power.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It won't be this year. TDP isn't really shifting and those chips have a big gap between them. I wish they'd leave it alone and just allow the machine to run cooler which requires large enough fans.

8. me_flay thread starter macrumors newbie

me_flay

Ha, yeah I guess I need to cool down. Don't bother about the design (only if they come up with a more rugged version, had to repair the case twice over the last two years. But that's just me) but I really though there has now big improvement made since I bought it in 2009. Okay I don't have Thunderbolt or Facetime HD... Or am I underestimating the speed bump of the Sandy bridge, and the AMD Radeon HD 6770M? Hmm.

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Not so sure about the graphics card, but sandy bridge is a huge boost - I would say a factor of 2-3 improvement over the 2009 Core 2 duos, thanks to quad core technology, and I would guess that also the single thread performance is much improved thanks to the turbo boost technology.

10. StuLax18 macrumors 6502

I have a 13" MB that is over 4 years old now. ;) I have been wanting a 15" MBP for over a year now, but the update a year ago wasn't big enough for me to dump the MB finally. Assuming this update is a good one, I'll be picking the new MBP up.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you saw the myriad of threads regarding a new MBP, you'd know that Ivy Bridge is due out April/May

So you have to wait until summer time to see a new MBP

12. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Yea because C2D is alot faster than a Quad Core Intel Core i7...

13. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I'm in a similar situation in that I've been looking for a new MBP 17, but didn't decide to pull the trigger yet. Frankly though, the new ones are about 4x as powerful as my 2009 one (as per Geekbench), so progress has definitely been made. I have had exactly 0 issues with mine and it still looks pretty much like new, plus, with extra RAM and an SSD it is as perky as the day I brought it from the store. Pretty remarkable machines these MBPs. :)

14. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Were you living inside a bunker with no internet or television when Apple put quad core i7 processors, 8gb of ram, and 750gb hard drives in their new MBP's :D

15. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Stepping up to a quad core processor and an SSD would be a pretty big boost I would think.

The biggest gain in computing recently really is SSD. So much so that I would imagine that a major MBP update in the next year will make them standard. Maybe they will pair a slim SSD like they use in the Air with a standard HDD for large storage capacity.

16. VI™ macrumors 6502a

And if they do go slimmer, it may only exacerbate the heat issues by having even less room for air flow. A 45c MBP would be nice. That's a MBP that doesn't get about 45c even under heavy operation. :D