Where's my bottleneck?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Globalksp, May 8, 2011.

1. Globalksp macrumors newbie

Late 2009 (I think) iMac
    2.8Ghz i7
    10GB 1067MHz
    ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB

I'm a photographer and primarily run the Adobe Lightroom & Photoshop. I also stream Netflix while editing and when I do so, any actions taken in Lightroom or Photoshop causes the video stream to lag.

I'd assume it's the 4850 holding me back, but wanted to make sure.

Either way, I'm wanting to sell this iMac and upgrade to the newest, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

The GPU should be powerful enough for your needs, the bottleneck might just be the slow HDD.

3. Globalksp thread starter macrumors newbie

4. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Yeah, do you have the 2TB Hard Drive? It's really slow in mine, I got the same model as you except with 12GB RAM.

5. Globalksp thread starter macrumors newbie

1 TB.

And it's that slow drive that will prompt me to swap in an SSD into the new iMac (if possible) or, gulp, bite the bullet and buy Apple's 2TB + 256GB SSD setup. C'mon OWC!

6. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Too bad they don't have 250GB options :p

Meh, I'm downgrading to a 1TB Hard Drive and it'll have to do. From my knowledge, Apple's SSD isn't so great.

7. Globalksp thread starter macrumors newbie

Hence the "C'mon OWC!!!"

8. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Haha, wasn't thinking about that. I still wouldn't buy it though, even if OWC doesn't release anything. Which they will, I'm sure. Too bad I can't get a nice Intel X25-M G2 in there without taking the screen off, which I won't do :p

9. applegenius83 macrumors newbie

Your graphics card is actually decent speed, it's about 3 times as fast as my 24" iMac's 9400M.
    I'd definitely go SSD, that's what I'm doing, I am looking into the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 480GB. For under $900, it seems like a pretty good deal for far better performance than even the Intel X25-M. These have very good read and write speeds, around 270MBps. I'll bet the Intel will get 250. That is read speed, writing speed probably has a drastic gap in speed. I can't make any estimates, but I'll bet OWC is around 40MBps faster. OWC kills!

10. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Intel's X25-M G2 writes at about 70-90MB/s. An SSD isn't about sequential read/write speed though, unless that's what you're after, far more important for snappy performance is the random read/write speed (IOPS). X25-M G2 scores pretty well, although I think Vertex does have a few that are better now.