Where's my keyboard gone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NickClapper, Aug 31, 2016.

1. NickClapper macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I bought a new MacBook Pro a couple of months ago because my Air conked out. All was going well until yesterday when my laptop decided that it no longer recognised its keyboard and mouse. I rebooted a few times and eventually the reboot screen told me to configure a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, something I've never done. I couldn't get past this screen until I got the bluetooth keyboard and mouse from my iMac and, Bob was my uncle, I got into my laptop. Not only that but mysteriously my keyboard and trackpad started working again.

All was well again until today, when the same problem happened at work. I plugged a wired keyboard and mouse in and Bob returned to being my uncle. But my keyboard and trackpad didn't start working again. I don't know if, when I get home and do the bluetooth trick, I'll have the same success as last night, but, either way, I can't go on like this forever. Has anyone had a similar problem? I'm presuming it's a hardware issue and that I'm going to have to take it back to Apple, but if there's something obvious I've done wrong, please let me know!

Thanks in advance for any help :)

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Then you have a warranty, why not use it?

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If I recall correctly, the keyboard and trackpad are technically USB devices. The fact that they're not working may be a sign that one of the USB channels isn't working correctly, or that you've got something plugged in that is preventing the other USB devices from working.

First unplug any 3rd party devices or anything that happens to be attached to the USB ports, and if that doesn't fix it, you should do as snaky69 suggests and take it into Apple.

4. NickClapper thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. I'm sure I'll end up taking it in to Apple, I just wanted to check first that nobody had an easy fix...