Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masterQ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Blackpool (UK)
Hi,

Waited until Apple announced the new PowerMac G5 Dual Core range and ordered my BTO option the very next day (20th Oct IIRC).

Still no PowerMac. Still no Delivery date! Apple Order Status states 'expected to ship 8th Nov'!!

Have called Apple several times in the past few days and they are hinting it could be next year! FFS I only ordered a bigger HD and Wireless option together with a LaCie Ext. HD!! How hard can it be to fulfill this order!!!

Anyone else still waiting?

Q

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Mine said it would be delayed until 18th nov before shipping. and it was shipped on 14th, apple have said it'll be here tuesday or wednesday next week :D

I CAN'T WAIT :D:D:D

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
masterQ said:
Hi,

Waited until Apple announced the new PowerMac G5 Dual Core range and ordered my BTO option the very next day (20th Oct IIRC).

Still no PowerMac. Still no Delivery date! Apple Order Status states 'expected to ship 8th Nov'!!

Have called Apple several times in the past few days and they are hinting it could be next year! FFS I only ordered a bigger HD and Wireless option together with a LaCie Ext. HD!! How hard can it be to fulfill this order!!!

Anyone else still waiting?

Q

Which model did you order?

masterQ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Blackpool (UK)
bigandy said:
Mine said it would be delayed until 18th nov before shipping. and it was shipped on 14th, apple have said it'll be here tuesday or wednesday next week :D

Was yours 'off the shelf' or BTO?

masterQ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Blackpool (UK)
bigandy said:

Was yours 'off the shelf' or BTO?

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
what's the deal here?

the apple stores around boston that i called still have no dual cores in stock.

do they sell so well or is there a production delay? not enough cpu's because all resources go into the x-box?

alien

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
London, ON
I'm in the same situation as you. I ordered the day after the dual-cores came out and I'm still waiting too. The only thing I updated was the graphics card in the 2.0 from LE to 256 VRAM. The memory is coming from another source.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
bought my dual-core 2.0 here at the apple store in dallas a week after they were released.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
I ordered my iBook September 23 or 24, and it arrived a week before Apple's site said it was expected to ship.

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
Ordered my G5 2.0 GHz BTO with the GE Force 7800 256 VRAM a few weeks ago. As a result of the video card upgrade, my will not be shipped till Dec 28th :eek:

Did you upgrade the video card Master Q?

alien

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
London, ON
I'm going nuts waiting for my new computer. I've been trying to look up benchmarks and anything to see how much faster the new machine will be compared to my old one (I'm going stir-crazy). Other than figuring out hypothetical speed increases (i'm estimating 4-5 times faster... wish it was more ;) ) I'm just constantly checking my order status. Does anyone else have any idea how much of an increase I can expect to see for both single processor and mutli-processor aware applications? :D

masterQ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Blackpool (UK)
Eevee said:
Ordered my G5 2.0 GHz BTO with the GE Force 7800 256 VRAM a few weeks ago. As a result of the video card upgrade, my will not be shipped till Dec 28th :eek:

Did you upgrade the video card Master Q?

No. Just HD and Wireless.

james22

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2005
I ordered my DC-2.0 + BT/wireless, 256mb 6600 upgrade, and 2GB RAM on Oct31 with an original ship date of Nov 4. On Nov 4 I got an email saying the estimated ship date was pushed back to Nov 11. A few days later the ship date in the order status mysteriously changed to Nov 17 without a notification email. Yesterday (Nov 17) the date slipped again and I was told it's now been moved to Nov 28. Anyone experiencing such delays???? It's driving me nuts, I can't believe how they can initially quote 2-4 days (when I ordered) and have it slip to 4 weeks. I called Apple support a few days ago and they assured me that the machine is already being built. But it doesn't look like it....

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
james22 said:
I ordered my DC-2.0 + BT/wireless, 256mb 6600 upgrade, and 2GB RAM on Oct31 with an original ship date of Nov 4. On Nov 4 I got an email saying the estimated ship date was pushed back to Nov 11. A few days later the ship date in the order status mysteriously changed to Nov 17 without a notification email. Yesterday (Nov 17) the date slipped again and I was told it's now been moved to Nov 28. Anyone experiencing such delays???? It's driving me nuts, I can't believe how they can initially quote 2-4 days (when I ordered) and have it slip to 4 weeks. I called Apple support a few days ago and they assured me that the machine is already being built. But it doesn't look like it....

Hmm...sorry to hear that james22. From 2-4 days to 4 weeks is pretty frustrating. I can understand the delay if you upgrade the video card to the 7800. I hope you'll get PowerMac before Nov 28th.

Mine will be shipped on Dec 28th as a result of the 7800 video card. Hopefully this date will not be delayed till Jan 2006!!!

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
james22 said:

it is really strange because the online store still says 2-4 days for BTO (excluding the 7800GT of course). if they can't make yours in time how can they promise 2-4 days to other customers. that's just not right.

masterQ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Blackpool (UK)
andiwm2003 said:
it is really strange because the online store still says 2-4 days for BTO (excluding the 7800GT of course). if they can't make yours in time how can they promise 2-4 days to other customers. that's just not right.

How can they indeed!

I've called Apple each day this week and each time I've been given a new delivery date. Today they've told me it will ship Monday and be here mid-week (I'll believe it when i see it!). They also told me to call them once I've checked it and they'll sort out some kind of compensation. No idea what form this compensation will take.

For the moment I'm STILL waiting!

james22

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2005
What I don't understand is that since ordering (and up to now), Apple's web store has always quoted 3-5 days-to-ship for my exact configuration. Is everyone who was promised 3-5 days being delayed to 4 weeks (I doubt it, else there'd be many more complaints on this forum) or am I just getting screwed?

I called the support line on the 15th and the service rep assured me that he could 'see' the machine's status as already being built, and had expedited shipping tacked on to compensate for the delay (nice gesture, but it'll now only be 3 weeks late as instead of 3 1/2 weeks late).

I called again today (Nov 18) and the service rep was clueless, and literally told me "I can only hope it ships on the 28th". I hope so too, I told her...

I just wished the delivery dates were more reliable. If I had known from the start I was looking at 4 weeks to ship I would have just picked up a stock machine from my local store...

Does anyone know if the airport+bt can be added to the new powermac's, or is it a factory-only option? The apple store lists an Airport Extreme card for the Powermac, but it doesn't say anything about BT....

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Dude I would cancel the order and reorder a PowerMac but not with the 500GB. Maybe an external? NOT worth it to wait that long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.