Where's our Macrumors Kinect reviews?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by jaw04005, Nov 7, 2010.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Eager to hear some first hand reviews of the new Kinect. I'm still on the fence.

2. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

The games that are out for kinect are nothing really to write home about. joy ride was a blast, Kinect Adventures was ok. but those was the only two i played. but other then that the kinect responded very well, it didn't have a issue detecting motion nor detecting voice. two player works just as good as single player. my friend said his daughter loved the dancing game and it did just as well in that game.

its slow at first due to the lack of some better games, and people are looking at it like the 32x or sega CD and have mixed feelings about it. I think that will change in due time, look at some of the upcoming kinect enabled games.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm waiting to see if it's region free.

I plan on buying one from Play-asia with Dance Central, Kinectimals, Joy Ride & Kinect Sports as Asian version is only €28 as opposed to €50 here. USA version's are region free - so I'm hopeful.

Though i also bought Playstation Move = that's pretty much doing nothing with my Wii for company at the moment. :rolleyes:

4. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

to me the PS3 move is just the same as the Wii remote but with a camera instead of sensors.

5. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

Yeah. PS3's Move is too much like the Wii for me. I can't seem to get excited about it. Being a former EyeToy and a current PS Eye owner, I'm also a bit skeptical since the Eye is a required Move component. The quality of the Eye is pretty bad. I'm very surprised they didn't release an updated HD Eye since it's so central to making Move work. I've had nothing but problems with it (poor low light performance, bad picture quality, etc).

Most of the game critics have lambasted the launch title Move games too (SingStar Dance, EyePet, Sports Champions, The Shoot, Tiger Woods, etc). The highest I've seen is a 7 out of 10.

At least Kinect is different from the Wii since it doesn't require a controller. Then again, most of the Kinect games are Wii knock offs (Kinect Sports=Wii Sports/Wii Sports Resort, Joy Ride = Excite Truck, Fitness games = Wii fit, etc).

The only one that looks different is Adventures. I don't know. I think I'll hold off.

6. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

I bought it for my family along with kinect sports, so far i love it very accurate in the scanning of your body and tracking movements, it's the only way ive got my wife to play video games with me the boxing was super fun and tiring, i can't wait till my son is old enough to understand how to use it.

Plus i like that when your done playing a game it shows highlights(pictures of you playing the game in funny positions).

7. bern1812 macrumors member

I played around with one today since they bought it to put in our game lab at school. It is pretty neat. I played the dance game and watched people play the adventure game. It would be awfully depressing to play by yourself though, but seems perfect for a party. I may pick one up just to have in our apartment when we have people over for drinks.

It seems like it has a good bit of potential too. I could see Fight Night being awesome with the motion controls, along with light gun games and rail shooters that have you lean around corners.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Added my review in the other thread.

Basically it's good, but requires a heck of a lot of space (more than move or Wii combined) and most games menu systems are pants of the launch titles I purchased.