Where's Package Maker?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by BlindSoul, Nov 4, 2011.

1. BlindSoul macrumors 6502

Hello,

I'm looking for the application Package Maker which suppose to be on the Utilities. But I can't find it. Is there anywhere I can download it from?

Thank you very much!

2. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

It's part of XCode in /Developer/Applications/Utilities.

3. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you know any good and easy application to make Installer Packages?

4. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

Firstly does you application actually need an installer?

The preferred option is to distribute your application in a .dmg file and just have your users "install" your application by dragging your application into their Applications folder. You do this by aiming for an application that is self-contained by making all it's resource files and libraries embedded within the .app directory. There are countless examples of this, Firefox comes to mind. Another advantage of this is that uninstalling your application is as simple as trashing your application from the Applications folder.

If you can't do this, how is Package Maker not sufficient for your needs?

5. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

Basically, I need an Installer to make two .App files installed on the Applications Folder. If I make it drag and drop, then if people install only one file the second one won't work and the opposite. So that's why I prefer using an Installer. So it'll install both at once. Can you help me to make such thing? I've never used the Installer before and I don't really understand how to use it.

Thank you! :)

6. chown33 macrumors 604

PackageMaker User Guide

Are your two apps separately launchable by the user? That is, is there a reason for the user to see two apps, and launch them separately? If not, then an app-within-an-app would be a better structure. Simply put the subsidiary app within the main app's Resources sub-dir. If all you need is two executables, then look inside the "Activity Monitor.app" in /Applications/Utilities/ and notice how it has a separately executable daemon file.

7. larkost macrumors 6502a

PackageMaker is going to work well for that case. If you need something more complex, then I tend to go for either IceBerg (bundle-style packages) or Packaeges (same author, for newer flat-packages), both can be found from their author's page on the subject, along with links to other's solutions.

8. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, These are two apps separately launchable. Although the only reason I need the first app is because the second one can't work without it. I don't even mind hiding it. And I really have no clue in how put the subsidiary app within the main app's Resources sub sir. What I am doing here is basically using the Prism app, Which creates web applications and turn it into a Mac application. So what I got here is my Mac application which turned from a Web Application and Prism which the Mac application I've made cannot work without it.
    So if there's anyway to put Prism inside my Mac application it can be great.

Thank you!

P.S.
    When I made a Package it worked and all. But the files weren't installed.