Where's 'Shared' in Finder gone?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Daze & Confuse, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Daze & Confuse macrumors member

Hi,

Just installed Lion. Slowly getting used to it. It's not perfect, but I think it's a step in the right direction. Little surprised that it makes a 6 moth old quad core i7 8GB Macbook Pro noticeably slower.

Anyway, I've lost the 'Shared' bit in the sidebar in Finder. The option is checked in Preferences, and I've done a disk repair.

Currently I can't see either my NAS, or folders shared by other users on the same Mac.

Please help!

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

There is a problem with non-guest access with NAS devices, search the forum for more info. Manufacturers need to update their firmware.
    Your preferences for sharing are set up correctly?

3. Daze & Confuse thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but I have no idea - that's why I've always used Macs - they just work. It just used to say 'NAS' in Finder, user Shared. I'm not thrilled about waiting for a firmware update for my NAS - do you think Apple will just fix it at their end?

And what about when I share a local folder on my user account? Why can't my girlfriend see it when we switch accounts? That's nothing to do with my NAS, as it's all on the Mac.

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Apple will probably not fix things as they are not really at fault.
    There is a Sharing Preference pane, check to make sure File Sharing is on and set as needed.