Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
He will not regret the Nikon. It's a solid DSLR.

I shoot with a Nikon D200, SB-800 flash, and a 28-70/2.8 + 70-200/2.8 VR lens. Quite a bit more money, but I am very satisfied with the Nikon brand. If I had to do it over again I don't think I'd change anything (except I'd have the D300 instead of D200).

Prepare for lens lust...

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
Costco is great because they have a 90 day return policy.

Best Buy has an AWESOME coverage policy for their electronics. They usually can't fix ANYTHING, so they just replace it.

If you plan on purchasing a plan, BEST BUY is the place to go. If not, there are better deals to be found.

If you're getting an iPod, get it from BB & get the warranty. WAAAAY better than Apple's finicky Applecare.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
I know, the 55-200 VR is selling for $180 which is just a bit more but when do you say stop.

It's $13.56 more on Amazon to get the VR instead of the regular. The retail difference on the lenses is over $50. Personally, I'd check with him to see if he wants to up his "investment" money by $15 to cover the difference.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
You mentioned that your son wants to shoot macro. Be advised that while the 18-55mm lens does focus pretty closely it is not a macro lens, nor is the 55-200. It is possible to achieve macro-like results with a telephoto lens but again it's not genuinely macro, which is 1:1 or sometimes 1:2 reproduction. Nikon has several dedicated macro lenses and one can also buy a closeup lens or extension tubes which will help create macro images.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Well, I pulled the trigger. Ordered the D40 with kit lens and the 55-200mm (not the vr) combo deal from Amazon($569). I did see the 55-200 vr but not included in a a combo deal. If bought separately it would be $180 as opposed to the standard 55-200 for $154. Bought with the D40 as a combo it was an additional $90....worth it I thought.....still do. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that my son will like it. I said that my son is interested in macro but wanted to get him an additional lens to work with and the additional cost seemed worth it. He said that he found a site that sells "demo'd" lenses. I haven't seen it but will check it out. He said that http://resellerratings.com/ gave it a high mark. Have to check it out. I'm sure that he'll be extremely occupied learning the in's and out's of the Nikon and macro photography will be secondary for a time, afterwhich he can find that "perfect" macro lens.
I'd like to thank all who have responded to this thread. Your advice and suggestions have indeed helped. After the holidays I'll post an update on the success(fingers crossed)............failure(shakes head holding a tumbler with two fingers of Bushmills over ice):eek:. Thanks again!

BTW, Clix Pix. I enjoy your postings on the Monthly picture thread. Isn't time to update your sig to add the 300;) Cheers

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
Well, I pulled the trigger. Ordered the D40 with kit lens and the 55-200mm (not the vr) combo deal from Amazon($569). I did see the 55-200 vr but not included in a a combo deal. If bought separately it would be $180 as opposed to the standard 55-200 for $154. Bought with the D40 as a combo it was an additional $90....worth it I thought.....still do.

Just FYI...

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-55-200m...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196581269&sr=8-1

55-200 VR is $203.50 - $100 instant rebate when purchased with a camera = $103.50

D40 + 18-55 kit = $479.99
D40 + 18-55 and 55-200 kit = $569.93

That means the 55-200 is $89.94 as part of the kit. That's a difference of $13.56 for the VR instead of the regular, buying the 18-55 kit and the 55-200 VR lens separately but at the same time to get the $100 discount. That was what I was trying to explain before. Too late now, I guess, but if anyone else is looking, $13.56 to upgrade to the VR is an awesome deal, considering the retail difference is about $55.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
overanalyzer: NOW I see! Didn't know what you meant the first time I saw your post. Awwww, rats! Orders been shipped. I must be in that "10%" group that just doesn't get it:confused:. Next time I'll look for ALL the fine print. Still, pretty happy with the deal. Have to wait to see about my son. I'll update you after the holidays. Cheers

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
overanalyzer: NOW I see! Didn't know what you meant the first time I saw your post. Awwww, rats! Orders been shipped. I must be in that "10%" group that just doesn't get it:confused:. Next time I'll look for ALL the fine print. Still, pretty happy with the deal. Have to wait to see about my son. I'll update you after the holidays. Cheers

It's understandable. I had a hard time noticing the $100 offer when I was first looking when someone else pointed it out. They really do an awful job of promoting it, considering it's an upsell opportunity for them. I'm sure he'll still be very happy with the camera and the lenses. He's destined to want to add to his lens collection over time anyway, so there's always opportunity later for other deals.

Just to add to the good news: Nikon has recently announced a VR version of the 18-55mm lens, too, so that now future buyers of the D40/D40x will have a matched set of VR lenses to use!

Well I guess that makes me glad I'm still holding out on buying. I wonder how long it will be until there's a kit with the 18-55 VR and/or the D40 is available body-only for cheap.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Priceless!

Thought I'd give you an update. Well the D40 was a resounding success. Fortunately I purchased a 2gb sd card with the camera so basically all my son had to do was charge the battery and he was up and running. I think he's taken about 600 pictures so far. I attached a pic that he showed me. He's trying his hand at HDR with a trial version of Photomatix. Unfortunately the D40 doesn't have the auto bracketing feature but he doesn't have to do HDR exclusively plus he can do HDR using a single exposure as I understand. Anyway, he's a happy camper. That makes us happy campers. Thanks to all how sent me their thoughts. Oh yes, I'll probably asking for more comments about "glass" later on;)

DSC_0073.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.