Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dreamkatcha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2003
Manchester, England
Hi,

'Tis only moi again. If you'll all form an orderly queue and have your 'told you sos' at the ready I'll begin telling you the brief version of the story of how I decided not to buy a Mac afterall and have regretted it ever since. After all this time I've come back full circle and am ready to really make the switch... no honestly I'm going to do it. :D

Since starting this thread I bought another PC... the motherboard malfunctioned and had to be returned, as did the hard drive and the PSU. I could write a book about all the headaches that ensued from trying to buy a compact, quiet PC and the hassle I've had dealing with incompetent PC hardware e-tailers, but I don't want to send you all to sleep.

Anyway I sold my PC yesterday for a fraction of what I paid, which was another disappointment in itself, but I'm glad I'm shut of it. Credit card at the ready, today I visited CW Online and was about to buy a G4 iBook when I noticed that they won't ship to an address different to the one associated with your card (I wanted to have it delivered to my work place since I won't be around to take delivery at home). Anyway I checked at John Lewis and the price is only £2 more, so assuming they have stock I'll go and pick one up in person over the next couple of days.

I have a 15" LCD monitor I plan to hook up to it as well as an external Explorer USB mouse. I was just wondering, what makes a keyboard compatible with a Mac? Is it just a matter of it having a USB connection? I was hoping to be able to use my Logitech 'Deluxe Access Keyboard' you see, but the box doesn't make any mention of the Mac OS.

I'm hoping to move to the other end of the country soon - it'll be so liberating to just pick up a tiny laptop and some clothes and have everything I need to start a new life. Can't wait! :cool:

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Dreamkatcha said:
I have a 15" LCD monitor I plan to hook up to it as well as an external Explorer USB mouse. I was just wondering, what makes a keyboard compatible with a Mac? Is it just a matter of it having a USB connection? I was hoping to be able to use my Logitech 'Deluxe Access Keyboard' you see, but the box doesn't make any mention of the Mac OS.

As long as it a standard USB keyboard it will work. Most Logitech producst usually have a little Mac sticker on them. You could always give them a buzz first. I always buy my computers from John Lewis, free 2 year warranty, and I get 12.5% off because of connections there.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
WOW!

How old is this thread? I didn't realise i gave out such rational advice! I forgot I helped you out as well, i thought somebody had my ID and was posting replies!

Sorry to hear of your pc troubles and i hope you get a deal on the mac, the iBooks screen has been updated I think as well, better than last time.

Dreamkatcha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2003
Manchester, England
Thanks for the advice. I searched the box thoroughly again, but can't find anything relating to it being Mac compatible. Oh well, I've already got the keyboard so there's nothing lost if it doesn't work. I'll just have to give it a go when I get my new toy. 12.5% of £699 is a very nice saving. Any chance I could body-snatch you for a few minutes while I make my purchase? :D

I know, it came as a blast from the past for me too. I was Googling for iBook info again when I came across my own post. I didn't look at my username to begin with, I just started reading the thread. It sounded so much like someone I know - I glanced over at the username and did a double-take. Thanks for the original advice - see, it wasn't wasted in the end. :)

Because I'm going to be really busy organising a birthday party tomorrow I decided to bring my parcelled up PC into work today so I could take it to the post office at lunchtime. So if you saw some idiot trying to walk a 2 mile journey through Manchester this morning carrying an enormous box, that was me. I arrived, eventually, and when I tried to take my headphones out of my ears I missed by about a foot because my arms were so numb I'd lost all coordination. I won't be doing that again in a hurry. :eek:

toontra

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2003
London UK
andym172 said:
Don't buy from the Apple Store - their aftersales customer support is appalling! :mad:

I have to agree with this. The "Apple Store" (or Squaregroup as it actually is) is staffed by people without a clue. I was once assured, repeatedly, that a dual PM 1.42 would boot into OS9, an this was after the grunt checked with his boss in the back office. If I hadn't known better, and had the money there and then, I would have been stuffed!

I now buy all my gear from these guys: http://www.mrsystems.co.uk/

They handle many warranty repairs for Apple UK, so any probs and your comp would likely end up here anyway, so why not cut out the middle man!

They also have the advantage of being 200 yards from my door!

Dreamkatcha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2003
Manchester, England
Another link to bookmark, thanks.

I went into Selfridges to pick up my new iBook on Friday, but they had sold out of the G4 800 model I wanted. They now only sell the new 1Ghz version. Does anyone know how big the difference in noise is likely to be? Should I shop around for the slower model or just get the 1Ghz? It would be really annoying to have to get it mail order when I have two Selfridges practically on the door step (one a 20 minute walk from where I work and another one about 30 minutes away from home).

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I can guarantee you that the processor makes no noise. :p

Get the 1GHz. You're getting a better computer for the same or similar price, you goof. Take the deal and run! ;)

And make sure you buy RAM! http://www.crucial.com. I can't stress that enough. Oh, and maybe buy a security cable as well, maybe the small one from Kensington. I had a friend come into my room and tried to steal my 12" PB and hide it under my bed as a practical joke. He later told me, but said he couldn't do it because of the damn security cable he didn't notice before. Sha-weet!! :p

So it's hardly worth the effort of buying it in the states. Also the powersupply will be the wrong voltage so you'll need a transformer or a new supply from Apple UK and I don't think they're that cheap.

Actually, there wouldn't be a voltage problem. I'm Canadian, and I'm typing this from Australia (240-250V) as we speak. The only issue is with the actual plugs (ie: the prongs) themselves, as the UK uses 2 thicker prongs, while in the US/Canada, they use 2 thin, flat prongs. Apple only makes one type of power adaptor for the 12" iBook for the entire world, and makes the prongs interchangeable. All Apple does is give you UK prongs. That is essentially the idea behind using the Apple World Travel Kit......replaceable prongs.

MemphisSoulStew

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
UK
I'd like to also recommend MR Systems - I've got a new eMac on the way from them, and they have some highly skilled engineers if anything goes wrong with your machine. Apple do indeed send warranty work direct to them, even for Macs not bought from there.

Can I also add that the warranty on portables is international, so not only can you use a US bought iBook or PBook in the UK without worrying about the voltage, but your machine will still have a valid warranty for a year. Desktops warranties are local to the country the machine was bought in. I investigated all this stuff because I'm going on holiday to Florida in a couple of weeks time, and there's a 12" Combo Drive PB with my name on it in the Tampa Apple Store (there really should be a salivating Smilie). At current exchange rates it works out to around £900, plus local sales tax, so I'll be saving about £200 over UK prices. I wouldn't bother buying a laptop mail order from the US, as I'll get stung for import duties and VAT ... I'm just hoping UK customs don't ask me how long I've had the PB when I come home.

Dreamkatcha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2003
Manchester, England
OK, thanks for the reassurance. I'll see if I can pick one up on my way home. Here in the UK the price difference between the 0.8Ghz and 1Ghz models is £100 (£700 vs £800) so it is quite a big jump. So nurrr! :p At some places (like PC World or eBuyer) you can pay more for the older model than you would the newer one at a more reasonably priced shop. Don't these people look at the competition, lol.

I decided to give the international orders a miss - it's more hassle and worry than I need. If I get one from John Lewis/Selfridges/Micro Anvika it will be effortless to take it back if anything goes wrong.

MemphisSoulStew

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
UK
My local PC World is hopeless at stocking new models. They had G3 iBooks on display for months after Apple discontinued them. Also they don't think they'll be getting the recently upgraded eMacs and laptops for quite a while, but they still continue to sell the old models at the old higher prices - they could at least drop the prices of the old ones. Any unwary punter shopping for a Mac is going to get ripped off. The only thing in their favour is they usually offer 12 months interest free credit.

Don't forget that John Lewis offers a free 2 year warranty, rather than the standard 1 year from Apple, and their sales staff are generally very good at customer care. They'd be my second choice after MR Systems. BTW The Selfridges Mac department is a concession run by Micro Anvika.

mouchoir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
London, UK
'So it's hardly worth the effort of buying it in the states. Also the powersupply will be the wrong voltage so you'll need a transformer or a new supply from Apple UK and I don't think they're that cheap.'

I got my 15" albook from the US and switched the removeable US plug on the power supply to a UK plug (didn't think to check voltage) and it works fine.

Dreamkatcha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2003
Manchester, England
*drum roll, clash of symbols*

I bought it on Monday and this is my first ever post using the new iBook! I'm over the moon on the whole - the OS is an absolute joy to use and best of all the laptop is completely silent. I never thought I'd be able to use a modern computer again without drowning out the noise with the TV or music. Even those supposedly passive Mini-ITX systems can't compete with this level of tranquility. I've sussed out all the basic functions, have connected to the net (obviously) and managed to get my external USB hard drive, mouse and monitor working effortlessly. Now I just need to find some decent freeware alternatives for my PC software. A decent WYSIWYG HTML editor is a top priority so if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

The bad - some idiot has been fraudulently using my credit card so I had to spend ages twiddling my thumbs in Selfridges while they authorised the transaction - a block had been put on the card until the matter was cleared up. The staff eyed me very suspiciously for a while there and said very little to reassure me that they didn't think I was a CC thief. Not a comfortable experience.

I found out that the reason my keyboard doesn't say it's Mac compatible on the box is that it only has a ps/2 connector. I bought a converter from Maplin today, but it doesn't work - looks like I'll either need one of those more sophisticated adapters or a proper USB keyboard then. I don't want to use the built in keyboard all the time for fear of wear and tear. I'm never going to use the system outside the house so it makes sense to convert it to a desktop. If these adapters cost roughly £15 I think I may as well go for a new keyboard.

I didn't get any extra RAM and you're right, OSX is quite sluggish without it. Even so I'm not too concerned. I'll happily sacrifice speed for silence. I'll probably upgrade the RAM one day but it's not a priority.

After using the mouse acceleration in Windows, the pointer in OSX feels very unresponsive. Is there any way to improve this? Also does the iBook keyboard have a key which deletes to the right as well as the left?

The built-in screen seems much more translucent compared with my 15" Iiyama LCD. I think my eyes would be very sore after extended periods of use.

Yes, I noticed the same thing re: PC World - they're now selling the iBook G4 800 at a discount of £100, making it £50 more expensive than the same model at John Lewis!

This is the latest, ecstatic new Apple convert signing off for the night. I'm actually looking forward to delving into the manual when I get a chance. That can't be natural, lol.

MemphisSoulStew

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
UK
Congratulations!

"After using the mouse acceleration in Windows, the pointer in OSX feels very unresponsive. Is there any way to improve this? "

Are you using the Trackpad or a mouse? Either way open System Preferences and click on Keyboard & Mouse; click on the Mouse or Trackpad tab and adjust your Tracking Speed (and Double-Click Speed if you want.)

"Also does the iBook keyboard have a key which deletes to the right as well as the left?"

On the bottom left of the keyboard is the Function key. Press this + the delete key to delete forward/to the right.

I'm actually looking forward to delving into the manual when I get a chance. That can't be natural, lol.

If you haven't already got it I'd recommend David Pogue's OS X Missing Manual, Panther edition. It looks quite daunting, as it's a huge book, but it's very readable, easy to navigate, tells you all you need to know, and you'll probably find yourself reading it while you're not in front of your machine and wanting to try stuff out immediately.

Dreamkatcha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2003
Manchester, England
I'm using an external mouse. I managed to find the speed settings prior to asking my questions though moving the slider to the far right didn't make a great deal of difference. I probably just need to re-adjust to the difference in movement. In Windows, using the acceleration, I was able to move the cursor from one side of the screen to the other by moving the mouse a fraction of an inch at a time. Oh well, I'm sure I'll be able to live with it.

Thanks for the deletion tip. I hadn't realised how much I relied on that until I couldn't find out how to do it.

I'll check out the Missing Manual next time I'm in PC World. Sounds like it might come in handy. I get the impression that OSX hides a lot of settings and features well below the surface to make it appeal to newbies, but has much more to offer than a first glance would suggest.

I think I was a bit hasty in judging the screen quality. I've pushed it further back tonight and the colours seem much more solid. I should have known it's all about the angle - I was too nervous of forcing it back yesterday in case I damaged it. Not that I'm obsessed about keeping things pristine you understand. ;)

I've installed the Mozilla suite and I think composer will be fine for my web design needs. Dreamweaver is too bloated and clunky IMO.

captain kirk

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2003
UK
Hi,

glad you got your ibook and are pleased with it, btw which selfridges/micro anvika store did you buy it from.

Dreamkatcha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2003
Manchester, England
I got it from the Selfridges store in Exchange Square. The computer section is hidden away on the third floor... or is it the fourth? That place is like one huge catwalk - they only employ supermodels and the customers themselves are straight from the set of some glossy, plastic, US teen drama. Anyway there was a bit of confusion re: my credit card. The salesman said something about me needing to get it sorted out. I assumed he meant I needed to replace it because it was cracked. I said I know and had been meaning to get round to it. More likely he was talking about getting the transfer block removed, but it was very ambiguous.

I've since had the credit card cancelled and am awaiting a new one. Someone has been using it (well the account anyway) to make payments to Canada, the US, UK and Hong Kong. Luckily I'm covered against fraud and will be able to claim the money back. I'd really like to know how this is possible. I'm almost certain no-one I know is responsible. I'm guessing that someone has been able to gain access to one of my online accounts where I've submitted CC details because they'd need more than the account number to use the card. I don't suppose the anti-fraud people will reveal the details so it could happen again with a new card if this is how they got access to my account.

James Farnham

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2004
MemphisSoulStew said:
My local PC World is hopeless at stocking new models. They had G3 iBooks on display for months after Apple discontinued them. Also they don't think they'll be getting the recently upgraded eMacs and laptops for quite a while, but they still continue to sell the old models at the old higher prices - they could at least drop the prices of the old ones. Any unwary punter shopping for a Mac is going to get ripped off. The only thing in their favour is they usually offer 12 months interest free credit.

Don't forget that John Lewis offers a free 2 year warranty, rather than the standard 1 year from Apple, and their sales staff are generally very good at customer care. They'd be my second choice after MR Systems. BTW The Selfridges Mac department is a concession run by Micro Anvika.

I work at a PC World in Bath, and the day the upgrades were announced I marked down the prices myself and sold the demo models to stay competitive with the Apple store. Also, from about two weeks after the release, they were available through the business centre for next day delivery. People got some damn good deals outta that, we're pretty good here in Bath ;)

MemphisSoulStew

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
UK
James Farnham said:
I work at a PC World in Bath, and the day the upgrades were announced I marked down the prices myself and sold the demo models to stay competitive with the Apple store. Also, from about two weeks after the release, they were available through the business centre for next day delivery. People got some damn good deals outta that, we're pretty good here in Bath ;)

Sorry James, I didn't mean to imply they were all like that. My local branch doesn't have a full time Mac salesman, although the two-afternoons-a-week part timer knows what he's doing. The nearest large branch is Brentford, but even they don't seem to have a full timer, and they are slow at marking down old stock. I've actually bought 3 machines from PC World branches - 2 CRT iMacs and a G3 iBook - but I've yet to meet a full time PC World salesman that was familiar with the Apple stock. Do you fancy moving to west London? ;)

Where is PC World in Bath? I used to live there, and I was down there for a weekend last month, but didn't notice the store.

captain kirk

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2003
UK
MemphisSoulStew said:
Sorry James, I didn't mean to imply they were all like that. My local branch doesn't have a full time Mac salesman, although the two-afternoons-a-week part timer knows what he's doing. The nearest large branch is Brentford, but even they don't seem to have a full timer, and they are slow at marking down old stock. I've actually bought 3 machines from PC World branches - 2 CRT iMacs and a G3 iBook - but I've yet to meet a full time PC World salesman that was familiar with the Apple stock. Do you fancy moving to west London? ;)

Where is PC World in Bath? I used to live there, and I was down there for a weekend last month, but didn't notice the store.

Hi, I thought this may interest you.

http://www.apple.com/uk/buy/msc/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.