Where's the DVORAK?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ciclismo, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

I have been on my iPad now for just over a week, and as much as I like it, I find the keyboard layout quite awkward. I was getting just getting used to using a Dvorak layout but it seems that this layout is not an option (although weirdly enough QWErTZ and AZERTY are). Anyone know if there is a way to get the Dvorak layout, or if it is coming?

2. mixvio macrumors 6502

3. dantherevelator macrumors regular

4. hullabaloobard macrumors newbie

Is there so much difference between the QWERTY and DVORAK? What do you think for those who first try the DVORAk? Will them can get easily familiar themselves with it?

To be honest, this is the first time i heard about this.

5. Ciclismo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

The layout is quite different. The most used keys are on the middle row so that you do not need to move your fingers as awkwardly as you do for a QWERTY layout. The latter layout was namely never intended to be ergonomic, but functional; the QWERTY layout was invented to reduce the likelihood of typewriter arms jamming!

It does take some getting used to, depending on several factors such as how often you type, how set you are in using the traditional layout etc. But I found that I got used to it within 2 weeks and then quickly not only started to use it almost naturally, but for the first time I started to touch type.

6. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

7. Justinf79 macrumors 6502

Justinf79

Heh, wow, I've never even heard of the Dvorak keyboard. When I saw the title I was thinking it had something to do with John C. Dvorak, and I was like whaaa?? :D

8. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

The reason why QWERTZ and AZERTY are available is because they're the keyboard used in some of the countries where the iPad is sold.

9. Ciclismo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

I understand why they have been added, yet I don't understand why Dvorak wasn't. Couldn't be that difficult to add one more could it?

I have now made my request via the Apple feedback page - thanks for the links. I would appreciate though if more people do the same.

10. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Yes, I'm amazed we have migrated to DVORAK layout. As someone else mentioned, the QWERTY layout was designed to slow typers down in a era when letter arms would stick and also reduce over use of two keys right next to each other sticking.

Seeing how no one uses a typewriter, I'm surprised we don't start teaching new typers the new way.

11. negatlov macrumors newbie

I am using software
    dvorak, I want to buy a dvorak keyboard instead.