Where's the iBooks iOS 7 update ?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by dsiiist, Oct 23, 2013.

1. dsiiist macrumors regular

iWork and iLife have been updated to match iOS 7 so why not the rest of Apple's apps, why wait over a month and still not update iBooks, find my friends, iTunes U, and remote ?

2. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Maybe a higher-up at Apple finally got a migraine from ALL THE ***** WHITE in iOS 7?

Or maybe they just agree the bookshelf delights the senses, and the page turning makes it fun to read- much more than the ABORT that is newsstand in iOS7. why even call it a newsstand anymore?

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Because you can get and read newspapers and magazines there, like at a newsstand.

4. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

I'm sure it'll get updated in due time. It should be no surprise that they had to focus on the OS'es and the apps they were going to use for talking points in the presentations. Now that they're done, and iBooks for Mac is finished, it shouldn't be hard to skin it, or rework it so the iOS apps line up.

5. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Newsstand used to be a jewel embedded in iOS.

iOS 7 killed newsstand- apps now have all background refresh. Now the cover is hidden behind a hideous icon. Major newspapers will just make their own apps now.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

The previous covers were microscopic from the homescreen. It didn't matter, and it was a bad design.

7. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Personally, there's just something about the skeumorphism in iBooks that a like, a lot.
    It actually fits in with the iOS still.

Maybe an update to the icon only, but not the app itself.

8. LastLine macrumors 65816

Agreed - I like the fact it feels like I'm reading a book.

I work with Apple products, I buy them, live around them, but I'm terrified of eBooks, I hate the things - much rather have a book I can hold.

iBooks at least lets me pretend I'm still holding a book in my hand.

9. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

If iBooks for OS X is any indication, then it would be the same. iBooks should have a flatter orange icon, and the animations gone just like on OS X. The rest of Apple's apps got updated I think because of the release with Mavericks and the new icons Mavericks got along with the features. (Although...Trailers also got updated.... and Find my iPhone which only the icon was changed before...)

10. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

I agree. A new icon would be nice, but I like turning pages in the app when I am reading.

11. MagicHAM macrumors regular

MagicHAM

A new icon would be nice, but the actual design itself, maybe bring the flat colour design to the shelf would make it most magical. :)

12. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Unfortunately the guy responsible for the humanistic touches to iOS was fired.

Steve spoke about Apple being at the intersection between technology and liberal arts. Apple is now just a technology company, and yesterday's keynote showed it.

[​IMG]

13. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

The only thing about skeumorphism on previous iOS's that I like is iBooks page turning.

14. Brammy macrumors 65816

It's a little weird that Amazon Kindle's app is more iOS7-like than Apple's ebook app.

15. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

I think it's sad they removed it form maps!

16. hieubui.rtz macrumors member

I'm kind of hoping they won't update it. Reading all in san serif on a white page would be madness. I can't believe they did that with safari reader mode... Reading long text with san serif is against science

17. MonstaMash macrumors regular

MonstaMash

I would disagree. I would say Apple is now closer to the intersection than ever. iOS 7 is very elegant and tasteful, with a refined design. I agree that it lacking some of the "material" touches that iOS 6 had, but I believe that Apple will continue to improve the OS. iOS 6 is closer to tech companies back in the 90s that assumed interface design was being absolutely literal...

[​IMG]