Where's the security?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Banga, May 20, 2010.

1. Banga macrumors newbie

I'm using bootcamp, and find that I can access all files in my home folder under OSX when using Win7. What do I have to do to secure my mac user account?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Banga.:confused:

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

This is common. Just as if you're an administrator on a computer you can give yourself permission to other users' folders.

You can set a startup password for the machine:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1352

(You basically need to insert your Leopard/Snow Leopard DVD, and run a program from there)

3. Banga thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Matthew,

Just to check I'm understanding the link, there's no way to secure OSX, such that you need to have an account under OSX to access the data? Rather you have to password protect the computer?

I guess I'm concerned that if my laptop is stolen, and someone takes out the HDD, and sticks it in another computer, then they have full access to my data?

If this is the case, I guess I'll have to resort to third party encryption tools (truecrypt) to keep my data secure.

Thanks.

4. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

No, I just didn't know you were considering encryption. Apple has FileVault already ready for you to enable if you'd like. Although, I'd read up on it on Apple's site before you do that.

5. Olfson macrumors newbie

Firmware Password offers no security

Firmware password protection prevents from booting from the installation DVD or an external drive with OS X (start-up/alt)

It seems though, that by replacing a RAM module, this security is easy to
    circumvent and booting from another drive is like a breeze ......cool...eh

Cheers :apple:

6. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

As Matthew said, turn on "FileVault". Your Home folder will then be encrypted into a 256 bit encrypted Sparse Bundle. You may lose printer shares though.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you're using Boot Camp you should be a lot more worried about keeping that partition malware-free than about accessing the OS X partition.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

9. Banga thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your concern, but I haven't had any malware or viruses in years. With good ant-virus and attention to what I do and don't install, this just isn't an issue for me. In my line of work though, securing my data is a huge concern, as it carries legal ramifications if it goes walkies. Being Baba's man-wife isn't appealing to me, no matter how I look at it, hence I'm anal about securing data.

10. Banga thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. I'll look into disabling the auto login, as well as the FileVault stuff. At lest I have somewhere to look now.
    I appreciate al of your efforts taken to respond.

Banga