Where's the traffic?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by BuckeyeMac, Oct 11, 2012.

1. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

I for one am liking Apple Maps. I think it could have been a little farther along when released, but they're usable. My question is, when doing turn by turn, where's the traffic? I know we can see traffic before starting turn by turn.

2. DoctorCrap macrumors regular

DoctorCrap

Apple Maps>*facepalm*

3. Kukulcan macrumors 6502

You can pause turn by turn then you can see the traffic. But what is the point checking traffic while you are driving? Maps does that for you, which is a lot more safe and legal.

4. VeryQueasy macrumors newbie

I actually was wondering whether the turn by turn takes traffic into condsideration for your route. So it does?

5. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Yes, it does.

6. BuckeyeMac thread starter macrumors 6502

That's great, but like you said more safe....well why not display traffic while on your route then so I DON'T have to touch the phone wile in route.

It would be nice to see the traffic ahead, and if I want to, get off an exit early and bypass the traffic and take side roads. I have yet to see/have apple maps tell me there's a faster route, etc.

Kind of disappointing. Kind of like driving somewhere blind without knowing what's up ahead

7. vtstarck macrumors regular

Apple Maps does this for you. Automatic rerouting.

8. sectime macrumors 6502a

I like seeing traffic displayed. Like Google, my in car navi, Garmin etc. Let's me decide if I agree with the reroute

9. BuckeyeMac thread starter macrumors 6502

This.

And like I've said, I have yet to see apple change my route for anything, and I live in/have to drive through city and suburban traffic

10. Brazuca macrumors regular

I think that Apple wants you to keep your eyes on the road. It will give you the information when you need it, audibly. Like it or not, this is different than how we are used to using navigation systems.

Having used it a bit, this is my impression of Apple's philosophy: Instead of a Heads Up Display type of device where you see your car and kinda follow the display to avoid traffic or get to POIs, Siri will do the thinking and routing, giving you only the information you need to make your next move.

If it is not something you can make a decision on while driving, then it takes that away from the TbT display.

I don't think that the red/orange/clear colors on the map will give you as much information as Siri is processing in the background (avg speeds, blockages, etc). Apple probably believes that it can be more efficient and safe than having the driver glance at the map while driving, try to decide on traffic patterns, and be safe.

Different approach. It was a bit unnerving when I was driving this weekend, but then I started to get used to having the navigation system *not* be a video game screen while I drive. I actually started shutting down the screen completely and listening to the radio.

11. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I have yet to see my turn by turn re-route me because of traffic.

So here's my question, is the only time it routes you around traffic if you ask siri and it takes you directly to turn by turn? I feel like if you look for directions on the map app, then choose one of the 3 routes manually, it definitely doesn't re route you.

12. Kukulcan macrumors 6502

Neither rerouted me, but 2 times I though I was more clever than Maps and regretted it.

13. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

On the times when it either doesn't or it's not possible to re-route, most people would like some type of warning that they're going to have to stop up ahead and how long it will last.

14. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

You could always just... you know, look out your windshield to see traffic. :rolleyes: :confused:

15. dotme macrumors 6502a

If you can see traffic 10 miles ahead on an Interstate, I'd like your superpowers.

16. Brazuca macrumors regular

I believe that the Overview button can give you that. I'm not sure what "warning" would look like.

It would probably be nice to have some sort of message saying "traffic ahead". But I'm not sure what that would solve. It would help me decide if I should stop at a rest stop now or later, though.

Feature request. I would also like to have the rest stops more prominent on my route. I would like to be able to ask "how far to the next rest stop".

17. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Exactly. If I'm on a long trip and find out there's a lot of traffic up ahead, stopping at a rest stop or taking the next exit and finding a place to eat become more appealing options.

Pressing the Overview button may be an option when you know a high traffic area is coming up, but we shouldn't have to press it every few minutes just "in case."

Ideally, it would say "Traffic 5 miles ahead. Lasts for 8 miles. Current average speed, 13 MPH," but a visible cue (as most other Nav apps have) would be fine.

18. Brazuca macrumors regular

Short of the Rest Stop case, auto-rerouting should get you around that. And if not, well, you still have to stop in traffic.

Again, I think it would be interesting, but I'm not sure what problem it would solve outside of the corner case. And I believe (read: guess) that Apple wants TbT to be less a Heads Up Display and more of a navigator. Waze is free and offers some of these features. Maybe Apple wants to let 3rd parties handle the more intricate stuff with more bells and whistles.

I can see the benefits. But I also see some benefits to adding some features. Perhaps iOS 7?

Rest Stop mode would be a huge thing, IMO. The turnpike can be terrible sometimes.

19. BuckeyeMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Glad to see I'm not the only one kind of disappointed with the traffic in apple maps.

I really don't think it'd be difficult to show traffic up ahead