Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidw

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
New York City
I have a 2010 15" 2.66 GHz i7 MBP with 4 GB of RAM. I have the regular 1440 screen as well. I have already bought and installed a 240 GB OWC SSD (Sandforce).

My question is: would upgrading to the new quad-core i7 2011 MBP be worth it? I definitely want a better, higher def screen than my current one, and it appears that the new quad core machines are about as powerful as my 27" iMac 2.93. Thunderbolt looks like a tremendous technology that will make the 2011 MBP last as well.

I would of course keep my SSD for the new computer if I were to upgrade. But how much do you guys think it would cost for me to make the upgrade, and is it worth it?

vsighi

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
San Diego, CA
I was thinking at the same thing...I have the 2010 I7, 2.66Gh and I think I will wait for the next refresh, It may be this year December.
Plus the Light Peak has bugs in it...by next refresh we will see Light Peak v1.2 just my 2 cents take on all this refresh....!?
...I will wait.

davidw

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
New York City
Where in the heck did you hear there's a refresh this December? I highly doubt that will happen. In fact, Apple almost never releases big new products in December. It's already almost March, so there's no chance we'll see brand new MBPs this fall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.