Whew! Just saved myself! (getting glue off car)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 7on, Aug 9, 2009.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

So the scenario: Installed a new car stereo into the Honda Civic, had to cut a hole in the dash console area (next to the power socket) for the USB input. glued it in and overnight the polyurethane glue "oozed" out onto the car exterior. Promised to clean it.

I thought hey, I've used rubbing alcohol a ton of times to clean anything and everything, so it should be safe. Turns out 100% alcohol will EAT the plastic of a '04 Honda Civic dash. The whole area turned to a ghastly grey and the cotton ball was black.

I panicked.

Thirty minutes later I came to the solution. I tried to google an answer and nothing came up, but this little juicy nugget helped me save the interior. Shoe Polish. Sure enough, applying the polish and buffing it returned the small area back to a glossy black. It's not 100% back to normal (I'd say in the low 90s) but it's better than before. I'm sure I can do some more polishing to get it back to it's previous condition, but whew at least I had the shoe polish!!

And now we have a tasty little USB port for our head unit.

2. MegaMillions macrumors regular

It's nice that you have such a privileged life. Imagine if your thread title had been literal. :rolleyes:

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

uh ok

im sure you never used a phrase like that or along those lines to describe almost messing up something you own:rolleyes:

glad to hear it worked out op

4. Greedo Guest

an '04 honda civic is "privileged"? you need to get out of the house more.:rolleyes:

5. MegaMillions macrumors regular

Yes it's privileged. If all the paint came off of the car and the car rusted and turned into a heaping pile of metal, it still wouldn't be that terrible. We're all living very removed from our primal needs.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Why thanks for the lesson of Obvious 101

Why are you posting in this thread when your posts add no value and only serve to somewhat mock the op?

7. MegaMillions macrumors regular

I apologize. I will retire.

8. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

/applauds.

9. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Anyone who uses Rufi as an avatar deserves to be mocked.

10. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Well you know most people on this forum are pretty privileged, because if they needed a computer and were tight on money they wouldn't have $1000+ computers now would they?

11. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

Shoe polish is a different approach. Would have never thought of that. How hard is that piece of the dash to remove? They make plastic specific paints. I am sure a few passes and it will look new. Or roll with it as is...

12. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

Shoe polish is a different approach. Would have never thought of that. How hard is that piece of the dash to remove? They make plastic specific paints. I am sure a few passes and it will look new. Or roll with it as is... sup to you man-o.

13. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Thanks, I was pretty surprised that it worked as well. :)

I did think about plastic specific paints, but I think the shoe polish works amazingly for what it is. If I were to paint it I'd feel that it'd be awefully hard to match and not make it look like a paint job.

This morning it looks a lot better. I'll have to post a pic once I get a home :D Should have taken a "before" pic, but oh well.

EDIT: Added pic

Attached Files: