Whew! Now official - no long lines for iPad 2 says analyst

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Chupa Chupa, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Gene Munster (is this guy ever right about anything Apple?) predicts no long lines. I hope he is right b/c I hate lines but I suspect there will be lines at least the iPad 3G 1.0 size -- which honestly was only about an hour long from very end to purchase. He might have some good intel on what 3rd party stores will be getting -- that is the only thing I can see that would keep lines down below iPad 1.0 levels.

Link-a-roo to story

2. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Are these the same analyst who predicted such good results for the Verizon iPhone

3. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I won't say there won't be lines, but I think there won't be long lines. So many options on where to cop an iPad especially here in Chicago. We have the Walmarts, Targets, Best Buys, AT&T store, VZ stores, and 5 Apple stores. My job is 15 minutes from the Apple store on Michigan. I'll probably leave work about 2:30 or 3 and head there.

4. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

5. melman101 macrumors 68030

I am pretty confident that I will be able to snag a 64GB 3G AT&T model. I don't for see many people upgrading or buying on day 1 myself. Of course, that's wishful thinking.

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

7. luisin macrumors member

8. 627874654 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

One of the things I really dislike about living in Japan is the time difference. I mean not GMT+9 or something.
    Everytime Apple announces a new product, it will be available a few weeks later than that of US launch. iPad 2, for example, is going to be available 25 March.
    To make the matter worse, Japan has only 7 Apple Stores. Probably, there will be huge lines in the country. I'm genuinely worried about the availability in Japan.

9. tomandshell macrumors regular

I am glad to hear the official word on the matter. That settles everything.

10. marcellus7 macrumors newbie

I think there are gonna be lines, with no preordering available

11. iAAPL macrumors regular

iAAPL

Anyone know if they will accept a Disney Fast Pass? Come back at 5 PM and cut in front of everyone?

12. Davichi macrumors 6502

iPhone lines and iPad lines are very different, folks.

iPhone requires to run your credit, port your numbers, and transfer your contacts.

After that, look for cases, look for car chargers, international chargers and customers complain how employes cannot transfer over their ex wife pictures... blah blah.

With iPad, you scan and pay. And you just need to GTFO.

Lines will be moving every quick.

iPad lines won't be as long as iPhone lines. However, if you are buying 16GB or 32GB iPad in wi-fi, then god speed. Those things will sell out so fast. I hope apple limits the purchase like they always do. ONE PER PERSON and accept no cash.

13. urkel, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

urkel macrumors 68030

Consider this: Would there be lines for the iPhone if it wasn't subsidized?

At any iPhone launch then the most expensive iPhone is still cheaper than the lowest priced iPad 2 so it makes sense that people aren't rushing to drop cash on such an expensive purchase. And also, the iPad is considered by many to be a "luxury device" so most people with disposable income dont necessarily want to spend their friday nights standing in line like a schmuck.

14. iAAPL macrumors regular

iAAPL

Does anyone know if this will be true this time 'round? I didn't even think about that until you mentioned it. I'm 18 and don't have a credit card. Are they really going to make me go with mommy so I can buy an iPad on launch day? BB or WM wouldn't enforce a 'credit cards only' policy, would they? Did this change anything?

15. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

There will be lines for sure. As long as the iPhone lines? Probably not, but there will be.

16. maclook macrumors 65816

Will there be a point to waiting in line? That's the question.
    Anyone think stores will be actively answering phone calls asking about stock? I'm guessing they'll either be too busy or the lines will be jammed with tons of other people calling in.

17. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

+1

I also think getting your first choice of color and 3G carrier, may be difficult. I can't imagine every outlet having a sufficient number of all model available this time.

18. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

Is that a real policy, What kind of store doesn't take cash?

19. iAAPL macrumors regular

iAAPL

That's my question. The reason they have such a policy is so they can keep people from buying more than one iPad. If they enforce it at the Apple store, couldn't you just buy your 1 at the Apple store, then buy as many as you want at WM or BB?

20. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

I think you answered your own question.

21. Rodvette macrumors regular

you sir made my day LOL

but at the same time now i have clean the spaghetti sauce off my keyboard cause of you...:apple:

22. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Original iPad was limited to two per person and it I hope its at least that. Need to pick one up for myself and my GF

23. Rodvette macrumors regular

co za asy.....

24. McPhallus macrumors regular

I picked up my iPad 1 at the BB store in Vernon Hills on launch day. I got there a couple hours early, and there were only half a dozen people. I ended up taking a raincheck (the shipment hadn't arrived yet) and picking one up at noon. They had tons of them behind the counter. I wouldn't have had any trouble if I'd skipped the camping out bit.

25. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

uh didn't they break Droid X opening day sales record in only two hours ? Between 3 and 5 am ? Existing Verizon customers only ? A full 30% of them who were Android users ? :)