Which 11" MBA deal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jedolley, Jun 20, 2012.

1. jedolley macrumors 68000

I plan on purchasing a 11" MBA (Base Model, 2012) for my wife. I've been looking at the options and these appear to be the two best deals I have found. I would like to hear your opinion or if there is a deal I am missing. Thanks.

Apple.com
    $949 (Student Discount) +tax, free s/h
    + $100 Mac Appstore GC
    $1027 (w/tax)

B&H Photo Video
    $990 + no tax, free s/h
    + Free Software (Parallels 7 or Filemaker Bento 4)
    + $95 for 3yr Apple Care
    $1085

I'm leaning towards the B&H deal due to Apple Care and that I could probably sell off the software to make up the difference. The $100 GC would be nice, but Apple Care is probably the better value and I can always get iTunes cards through Coinstar deal or 15% off deals the appear from time to time.

What's your take and/or is there another/better deal that I may be missing?

2. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

3. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

4. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

5. armandocerna macrumors regular

Do they sell apple care by itself for that much? Or moly when bundled with an air?

6. Atlast3000 macrumors newbie

They're both good deals but I think the AppleCare is definitely worth the extra money (not always, but in your case). Down the line you're looking at significantly increased resale value in addition to the piece of mind you have while owning the machine.

That said, if you have access to a Discover card you can get 5% cash back at the Apple store. Combine that with the sale value ($75-$85 takeaway from an eBay auction) of the iTunes card and you're looking at under $900 for a new MBA (which I would think trumps the AppleCare deal). Your call...

7. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

I do have a Discover card... Good tip, thanks. Definitely going to sleep on it.

8. jgc macrumors regular

The Discover w/ gift card option is tempting but if I were you, I'd go for the B&H deal with AppleCare hands down. Hands down. Gives you security for the next 3 years, which the 5% cash back (and gift card sale) can't.

9. Zzari macrumors member

I went for the B&H deal with Apple Care last year when buying my 13" MBP. Combine the cheap Apple Care with the fact that anyone outside of NY (I'm in WA) doesn't pay sales tax at B&H, and B&H becomes the clear winner.

The only downside to ordering from B&H is that they do not give refunds on computers. When ordering, make sure that it is the exact model and configuration you want so that you don't have any regrets later :p

10. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

Hmm... Their site says No Return/Exchange on computers. That's a bit harsh. What if I got a bad, broken, or defective unit? It sounds like I would have no recourse through BH and would have to go straight through Apple... Going through Apple isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if I pay for a brand new laptop and it arrives broken or defective, I should be able to exchange it with the vendor for a NEW laptop.

Good deal or not, that return/exchange policy may end up being the deciding factor.

11. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Yeah, the NO RETURNS thing killed it for me. Just say no to no returns.

12. xchaotic macrumors member

Are you sure that's the 2012 MBA in that B&H deal?

13. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

I get the no returns for a refund even if it's still a bit unreasonable, but not having the option to return an item for exchange isn't right.

I think I might look in another direction and go with the ol'faithful... Amazon! Amazon doesn't have a deal like B&H, but their return policy and customer service are top notch. Also I do have some gift cards I could use (about $100), and if I use the Amazon card I would earn about 3000 points (equal to $30). As for the AppleCare, I can get it from Apple.com (student discount is $183) or find a better deal before the warranty runs out.

14. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

The bundle deal is eligible on all MacBooks (new and old). I already added it all to my cart and it worked fine.

Attached Files:

15. Zzari macrumors member

Amazon's computer return policy is a little more stringent than their "normal" return policy - read over it and make sure it's worth ordering from Amazon over the Apple Store. For me it always comes down to either Apple or B&H; since I live in WA, I have to pay tax on Amazon anyways, and I get the education discount + giftcard from Apple, so they end up being better than Amazon.

16. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

Amazon's computer return policy is pretty standard... 30 days in new condition (but does not mean unopened) and in original packaging. In the computer section the recommend going to the manufacturer for defects or issues, but I can tell you from experience won't reject a reasonable return. B&H states up front NO returns or exchanges which is completely unreasonable.

17. phantomsd macrumors 6502

phantomsd

Amazon's return policy on computers...

Computers purchased from Amazon.com, which have not been opened, may be returned for a refund within 30 days of receipt of shipment via our online Returns Center. Computers purchased from Amazon.com which have been opened are subject to a partial refund of 85% of the sale price. Computers may not be returned more than 30 days from the date of shipment receipt.

18. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

Weird... Mine does not show that.

Computers
    Computers purchased from Amazon.com and most sellers may be returned for a refund within 30 days of receipt of shipment. To initiate a return of an item, whether purchased from Amazon.com or a seller, please visit the Online Returns Center. To view a seller's return policy, click Return items in the Online Returns Center, then click the "seller profile" link to reach the seller's storefront. From there, you can read more about the seller and its return policy.

All computers sold by Amazon.com are supported by the computer's manufacturers. In the unlikely event a computer appears to be defective, please contact the customer support network for the computer manufacturer to have it serviced under warranty.

Also, I have returned many things over the years (including 2 laptops) and neither of those were charged a restocking fee. I even returned an iPhone case without the packaging (got a full refund), and a messenger bag almost 2 weeks past the return period (also got a full refund). I've had nothing but excellent experience with Amazon and have no fear of ordering anything from them. Even if they stuck to what you quoted (which does not show on my account, maybe prime?) that is still better than NO option at all for a return or exchange.

19. phantomsd macrumors 6502

phantomsd

I now see the policy you posted with no mention of restocking fee... weird!!! Yeah, I agree Amazon has awesome CS... they're definitely up there with Apple :D.

20. palpatine macrumors 68040

best buy full price + tax, but 150 bb gift card (education deal) will buy you 175 itunes gift cards. discover gives you 3-5% back (depending on programs you are enrolled in) and you get bb rewards points worth about 20 dollars. so, in total, at least 225 back.

21. KPOM macrumors G5

I bought a 13" MacBook Air in 2010 from MacMall, which also does not accept returns. It wound up having a bad logic board. I took it back to the Apple Store and they gladly took it back and exchanged it for an identical version. I even got a receipt that gave me a 14-day return period.

If you are absolutely sure you want that model, I'd go for it. Apple will stand behind their product if it is defective, even if you bought it from an authorized retailer rather than their own store. If you have any doubt, stick with the Apple deal since you will get the return period.

22. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

Best Buy would have been an option, but my local BB does not cary Macs (only iPads), and if I drove to one that did there is NO guarantee that I would get them to match Apple's education as I have read it's YMMV. Otherwise, BB would have been a decent choice especially since they made me a silver member (never spent anywhere close to $2500 in a year there).

Yeah, I have had several very positive experiences with Apple service. I would not hesitate to reach out to them if I have to, but since I don't really live near an Apple store, and phone support takes time, I try not to if I don't have to. Also, IMO there is absolutely no good reason why a store can't at least accept exchanges. I can almost accept no returns for a refund, but not to allow return for exchange is absurd. In this case I was not a 100% sure on the model/specs because I was buying it as a surprise, but even if I was I still would not buy from those places no matter their reputation because IMO their policies are just wrong and definitely not customer friendly.

Thanks for the input, but I ended up going with Amazon. Eventhough up front it was not the best deal, it made the most sense for me. I had $150 Amazon GCs saved up, got about another $100 from cashing in at Coinstar, and had another $50 in points on my Amazon card. So total was around $700 (base model) and i'll get another $20 worth of points on my Amazon card. I'll probably use my Discover card to get AppleCare at the education discount ($183), but going to wait a bit and see if I can find any other deals on it.

23. palpatine macrumors 68040

I don't understand the logic, because you actually spent a lot more at amazon (using your existin gift cards that could have been used for something else doesn't count as savings) than you would have at best buy, and the only story i have heard of the ymmv type is someone who saved another fifty dollars on top of what i mentioned. but, at least we agree that the ani-consumer policies of the other store made it a non-option.

24. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't disagree that BB is the better deal. However as I previous stated, my local BB does not carry Macs. I considered emailing the store manager of the nearest store (about 1hr away), but even if he did match the deal, It just isn't very convenient and I did not have the time available to make the trip.