Which 13 MBA to buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jadkamari, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Jadkamari, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

Jadkamari macrumors newbie

Im planning to buy a mba 13 inch but am confused btwn 2 configurations
    1. 128ssd i5 8gb 1300
    2. 256 i7 8gb 1700
    Wld welcome all suggestions
    Thx

2. will waters macrumors regular

I personally went with the i5, 8GB ram option (so only 128GB) which is enough,
    1) Store all music in the iTunes cloud
    2) Keep films etc on a separate USB 3 HDD (and possibly some apps like COD)

I have done this and I still have about 50GB of space still

You really need to say what you are planning on using it for for us to help you decide which CPU, and storage you need!!

Will

3. Jadkamari thread starter macrumors newbie

Im an engineer student so mostly daily use..web browsing,Gona install progs like packet tracer vba,wireshark,use a lot of powerpoint,word,
    Gonna install bootcamp..and a little gaming fifa2012 eg..
    And another q,how much will the processor upgrade differ?is there a lot of diff btwn i5 and i7?And planninf to stick with the mba for a couple of years min so shld i buy the 256 ssd?is it practical to use an external hdd?
    Thx will :)

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'm also an engineering student (Computer Engineering). I'm using a 13" MBP Late 2011. The processor upgrade will not do that much for you, but the increased storage does. If you have the money and need the extra space, then go for the 256GB model. Personally, I'd spend more on RAM.

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

RAM above all else. There is no upgrade path for the RAM. Right now there isn't an upgrade path for the storage for the 2012's (there was for the 2010 and 2011's), but that is only a matter of time (Macsales.com is working on storage upgrades for the 2012 MBA's and Retina MBP). Processor probably won't make a whole lot of difference to you. It certainly won't "future proof" you as some people like to believe (when he 1.8ghz proc is too slow, the 2.0ghz proc isn't going to be much better).