Which 13" MBP configs are available in store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asaj, Jun 17, 2009.

1. asaj macrumors newbie

I am about ready to pull the trigger on a 13" MBP, but I want to upgrade to 4gb RAM and a 500gb hdd. I was going to upgrade them myself, but the difference is only about $130, and I am not sure it's worth the hassle.

My question is, do they sell that config in store? Or is that something I'd have to order online?

Thanks.

2. cababah macrumors 68000

I think Apple only carries the base units of each CPU. However, you might be able to get them to upgrade it at the Genius bar. These computers are very easy to swap in your own RAM and HDD. The most time you spend is taking the little screws out.

3. asaj thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I figured it would be simple to swap out the pieces, I have built PCs in the past so I am comfortable with that type of work. I guess my only question is, once I get the Mac, and pull out the stock hdd and ram, then put in the new hdd and ram, am I able to install Leopard just by inserting the CD? Will it automatically boot directly from the CD drive? At that point it's just a matter of going through the OS install, which I assume would be at least as easy as installing Windows, is that correct?

That was really my only concern, and I just wasn't sure I wanted to mess with it...

Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to my first Mac.

4. ColinEC macrumors 6502

After inserting the Leopard disc hold down the C key to boot from the DVD, or anther way is to hold down the Option key which allows you to select what device (HD or DVD) to boot from.

5. asaj thread starter macrumors newbie

And then just fallow the prompts, huh? Sounds pretty simple. Maybe I'll just go ahead and order my RAM and HDD today then, and then go pick up the base model in store.

6. RedWings macrumors regular

Thats what I would do.

Order some RAM from crucial (great reputation and prices) and do some reading on the forums to figure out the best HDD to get.

7. asaj thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I will get the RAM from Crucial and there is a 500gb Hitachi hdd on newegg with really good reviews. Supposedly very quiet and vibration resistant, so I'll go with it. That saves me about $130, almost half of the cost of the 500gb Time Capsule to back it all up...

Probably order the RAM and HDD today, and pick up the laptop from the store when the upgrades arrive.

8. qpid macrumors regular

Any reason not to order it online? They do free shipping when you buy $50+

9. harcosparky macrumors 68020

They only stock the base units because it would be hard for them to stock each configuration in enough quantity to be able to cover all requests.

What they can do in the store depends on the size of the Apple Store.

We just purchased a base 13" MBP and a 15" MBP at the Apple Store in Christiana, Delaware.

They said the only upgrades they could do was RAM because they were a smaller store.

I did the RAM and HDD on the 15" myself, if you have built PC's in the past it's easy.

Just TAKE YOUR TIME, Apples uses some tiny screws and they are easy to bugger up at times.

10. RedWings macrumors regular

Order it online through the Apple Education store and save $100 because you are a 'student' ;). Then add the 8gb Touch that you'll get for free after rebate for being a 'studen't ;) that bought a MBP. I think you also get a free printer. Don't want the printer and/or touch? Sell them and you just bought a MBP for cheap. All because you are a 'student' ;)

11. harcosparky macrumors 68020

We bought the iPod touch as well. Will get the $229 back in REBATE.

Have a buyer for the iPod at $200.

ALSO - If you have Student ID you can get the EDUCATION DISCOUNT at the Apple Store ..... no need to order online to get discount.

12. qpid macrumors regular

Online is great if you MISPLACED your student id card...

13. RedWings macrumors regular

I'm not sure if i'm going to keep the iPod or not. I already have a 3g Nano but having the apps/broswer on the touch would be worth it.

14. CallMeZsaZsa macrumors member

ok, so what if you've never built a pc, never taken a computer apart, never seen one's "innards"? lol
    Im a little afraid to try and do the upgrades myself. (was going to get the base 13" )

For someone clueless like myself, would I be better of ordering the base and then adding in the ram/hdd to customize, order the 2.53 model, or just cross my fingers and hope I can do the upgrades myself without screwing it up?

15. harcosparky macrumors 68020

When I bought the 15" I did not have my Student ID , the Apple store asked me for my Drivers License and entered that number as my Student ID number.

My daughter had her student ID so they used that.

If you do not have a Student ID you can also use.....

Registration Paperwork
    Grade Reports

At least the Apple Stores around here are not so picky.

Online is great if you are NOT a real Student, then you can fake it with the Online Apple Education Store !!! ;)

16. harcosparky macrumors 68020

It's not difficult and I think Apple even publishes a HOW TO.

You just have to realize, the screwdriver you need is a 0 tip Phillips.

The screws are tiny and easy to damage, if you get a NEW SCREWDRIVER you should be OK. If you use an old one and the tip is a bit worn, it may make damaging a screw easier.

Just take your time removing the screws, use a slight downward pressure as you remove the screws until they are loosened. The pressure will insure the screwdriver tip is seated into the screw and reduce the risk of it coming out and stripping the head.

17. asaj thread starter macrumors newbie

I just ordered my RAM and the HDD, and I'll probably go to the store and get the MacBook tomorrow or this weekend. Only reason I am going to the store is because I have a couple PC to Mac questions, so I figured I could ask them while I am there. I can also get it a bit sooner that way.

Thanks again for all of the advice, hopefully the OS install goes without a hitch...