Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tinyfireworks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
Hi all,

After months of waiting and debating, I'm finally ready to pull the plug on a new laptop to replace my 14" iBook G4 that's still chugging along. I was originally hoping to go with one of the new 15" MBPs but it just doesn't make sense for me budget-wise right now, since I'm fairly sure the 13" with some additional bits and pieces will be sufficient for my needs. I'm not sure which to go with, though, the low-end or the high-end?

On top of web browsing, word processing, basic GarageBand, iTunes, and iPhoto stuff, I need to be able to run Photoshop CS5 (with the occasional batch edit), some other CS5 apps like InDesign concurrently (but nothing too intensive), and play a bit of WoW. I'm interested in running Windows 7 through BootCamp just for fun, but it's not critical. Either way, I plan to put a bigger 7200 rpm hard drive in on my own, and add an external monitor for use in photo editing. I'm pretty sure I know what you're all going to say, but is the processor bump from the 2.4 to the 2.66 worth the $300 difference?

Basically, I'm hoping for some confirmation that the low-end will suit my needs, but I'm open to suggestions. :) Any thoughts? Thanks!

EasyJW

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
the processor bump is barely noticeable, i've been on both side by side and most of the apps your running won't even use the extra cpu, it's ram they'll use best
signature_BlueFaceGlasses-98213.jpg
go with the 2.4

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
2.4 is the way forward here, buy a new HDD for extra capacity. I am selling my last 13" and have just brought a new 13" base.

Arminator

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2010
Go for the 2.4 model, and build in a SSD. This will boost your experience in a significant way.

mbcracken

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2006
I'm in the same boat...iBook G4 1.2 is really showing it's age and have been wondering about the same MBP options. Thanks for all those inputs from above.

Cheers,
Mike

iVizard

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2010
reconsider

you should reconsider the 15 inch if you were considering the 2.66 because when i got my education discount they gave me 200$ off the base 15 im not sure if this was me getting lucky or its like this at all apple stores so the price difference between 15 and 13 was only 400$ for a heck of a lot more.

mitchleeh

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
you should reconsider the 15 inch if you were considering the 2.66 because when i got my education discount they gave me 200$ off the base 15 im not sure if this was me getting lucky or its like this at all apple stores so the price difference between 15 and 13 was only 400$ for a heck of a lot more.

Can you please explain how this happened? Was it a new 2010 15" MBP? Where are you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.