Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matteconcepts3d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2008
Hi all,

I have a mac pro with a 30" screen at home that I use for work; I do a lot of photoshop and 3d work.

I'm looking to grab a small, portable laptop, and have my eyes on the new 13" mac book pros.

The question is, should I go with the 2.26Ghz/2GB version for $1200, or the 2.53GHz/4GB version for $1500? Seems to me, that since ram is so cheap, it may be wise to get the 'slower' machine and just upgrade to 4GB of ram.

Note: this will not be my 'production' machine, so it doesn't need to be incredibly fast, just support photoshop, and emergency 3d stuff - but mainly just photoshop.

Thoughts/Suggestions?

Thanks!

Matt

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2008
lots of threads on this already. go with the 2.2GHz version as it is a lot cheaper and the only real difference you're paying for is the extra 200mhz or so. everything else can be upgraded for cheaper than what apple charges.

qpid

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2004
lots of threads on this already. go with the 2.2GHz version as it is a lot cheaper and the only real difference you're paying for is the extra 200mhz or so. everything else can be upgraded for cheaper than what apple charges.

Close there are lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of threads about this :)

Short answer: the proc cannot be upgrade the hd and ram can, so base your decision on that.

matteconcepts3d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2008

Sorry for the redundancy, fuzzielitlpanda -

I figured that was the way to go, thanks -

Matt

ColinEC

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2008
Since it isn't going to be your main Potatoshopping computer, and the small 270MHz processor increase won't do too much, go for the 2.26GHz. The lower-end MacBook Pro will do just fine.

You could upgrade to an additional 4GB of RAM and a 7200RPM HD (both 3rd party) to save money (rather than going for the 2.53GHz).

matteconcepts3d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2008
Since it isn't going to be your main Potatoshopping computer, and the small 270MHz processor increase won't do too much, go for the 2.26GHz. The lower-end MacBook Pro will do just fine.

You could upgrade to an additional 4GB of RAM and a 7200RPM HD (both 3rd party) to save money (rather than going for the 2.53GHz).

Thanks, ColinEC - why the HD upgrade?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.