which 15.4" macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gonnabuyamac, Feb 8, 2008.

1. gonnabuyamac macrumors 6502

i'm getting a replacement computer because mine's been such a hassle. woohoo! anyhow, i just have the base 2.2 ghz (120 gb, 128 vid) model now, but they asked if i'd be interested in upgrading. is it worth $500 to go the next step up? (2.4 ghz, 160 GB, 256 vid) i do graphic and web design, so the extra storage and processor speed are tempting. is it really worth it though?

2. caffeeneaddict macrumors regular

i say if you have the money, go for it. The extra vram could help you in the long run.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

The storage is worth having, but the extra 200Mhz doesn't really make a whole lot of difference....

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

That seems like alot of money for another 40GB in disk space, a bigger graphics card, and the small speed bump. Especially since you already have a pretty new machine...

5. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Get the 2.4GHz, I love it!

If you're upgrade from 2.2GHz to 2.4GHz, I don't think it's worth it. Plus the new revision should be out any time soon, so wait a lil longer and you won't regret.

6. gonnabuyamac thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not sure how long they'll let me wait. But, I've heard new MacBook Pro's are just around the corner. Maybe I should ask the AppleCare guy...

7. caffeeneaddict macrumors regular

even if/when there is an update i dont know if theyll let him get the revision unless he pays full price for it. becausein my experience with apple, when you get a replacement you get the same revision/update, like when I had iPod woes, they offered me an upgrade from a 30 to 60, even though the 80 had just come out they wouldn't let me get it since i had the original video and not the revision. but it could be different for laptops [/rant]

8. gonnabuyamac thread starter macrumors 6502

This will be the 2nd time Apple replaces my laptop. The first one I had was the original C2D MBP (2.16... not LED screen). The replacement was one of the new ones (2.2 LED). No questions asked, and no problems. Of course, it wasn't anywhere near the time of the actual release, so that may have been a factor.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You can get a 320GB HD for around $200.

So to upgrade the HD it is not worth it.

However, the CPU speed increase and VRAM increase are both something that the user cannot upgrade.

So when determining if it is worth it or not, consider the importance of a faster CPU or increase video memory for you in the future.

Personally, I would stick with what you have and put in a bigger HD (if your want more storage space) and then save the rest of the $500 for something else.

10. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Not worth it. A year from now, the 2.2 and 2.4 will be like the 1.83 CD vs. the 2ghz CD--old pieces of gear that are virtually identical when compared to modern technology. Save yourself half a grand and get the cheaper laptop.

11. Macsleuth macrumors member

Maxed mine out!

Company lease, so i maxed it out.
    2.4GHz, 4GB and 250GB.
    Yup, paid too much for stuff I could do myself.
    Speedy with the extra memory.
    I added 2 GB to the 1GB on my Imac last week, what a difference, everything is much faster.
    The drive and memory you can change yourself (or have someone do it cheaper than paying Apple).
    Next time, I'll focus on the after market for memory and drives.
    200MHz, probably won't make a big difference down the road.
    G

12. soccerjoe5 macrumors regular

13. MinorBidoh macrumors 6502

MinorBidoh

14. Pivzavod macrumors member

It seems that Apple uses better screens with the 2.4/2.6 MBP. When i had a screen issue, the genius bar guy went to check it on another 2.2 MBP, so he couldn't find one for a while, and when i asked him why he cares about the model - the problem was with the screen, he was confused and said something strange :0 So, i think you have a better chance of getting AU Optronics with 2.4/2.6 model.