Which 15" for graphic designer using Adobe CS4 or CS5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dcellere, Aug 19, 2010.

1. dcellere macrumors newbie

I have taken the plunge as a freelance graphic designer and need to purchase a new laptop. I am planning on buying a 15" MacBookPro, along with an inexpensive larger monitor for my office.

Is there a big difference in the Intel Core i5 and i7 that would be necessary for me?

Also - with regard to the grpahics card, is the NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256MB ok for my use, or would the 512MB be necessary? I am thinking that 256 is fine for my purposes, but I am not sure.

Should I increase the memory to 8GB rather than 4GB? I would likely be running Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign simultaneously.

Thank you!

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Yes increase the RAM, yes get a better Graphics card, no I think you'll be fine with the i5. It's a standup processor, should be able to perform well enough for PS, ID and IL. More RAM is always useful, especially if you're dragging and dropping things between applications/documents. The dedicated graphics card is always a plus.

3. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

4. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Ha, I'll bet it works great. But what applications do you use?

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

moar ram

photoshop illustrator and indesign gobble up ram as if they had the munchies after enjoying some illicit drugs and/or herb.