Which 15-inch MBP is the best value?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jshelton, Nov 13, 2009.

1. jshelton macrumors 6502a

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

A: Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.53GHz

Q: Why a new one when you have the 13"? The older 2.4GHz is equal to the newer 2.26GHz according to tests. No speed win there.

3. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the response. I don't do a lot of CPU intensive work. I write papers, email, web, blog, movies, music, and some light photo editing. The low end MBP I have is more than enough in terms of "guts". I just can't deal with the 13" screen anymore. This is my main computer, and it is just too small. My eyesight sucks too, and I could really use a larger screen. It's the 15" MBP or a Windows machine.

4. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

I was in the same boat and only went with the new 2.53 15" over a refurb simply because I wanted to buy in store. Had they made a Macbook plastic 15" much cheaper I likely would have gotten that but if you want a larger screen this is your only choice.

5. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

I would get a refurb, the 2.66. The new battery is amazing on those things. That way yo get the dual gpu with the new battery.

6. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

What will the next refresh bring to the MBP line? Any idea when that will be? I know the product line is set for Christmas, so it will have to be early 2010.

7. bmstrong macrumors 6502

Anti-glare would be a big plus for the new machine. The refurbs, unless stated, are glossy.

8. phatcat macrumors regular

Obviously the cheapest one would be the best value. You need to decide what's important to you. Graphics performance on the $1299 unit versus the longer battery life on the 2.53 machine.

9. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

whichever one has an expresscard slot in it.

hint:not the unibodies.

10. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Actually, the first two listed are Late 2008 Models with an ExpressCard Slot.

11. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

As such, I say go with the refubs. I have an early 2008, but if/when I get a newer model, I would like to get one with an expresscard slot. Only question I have is this: Do they have the glossed screens or the newer anti-glare ones?

12. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Cheap ≠ Value. It doesn't matter how cheap something is, if it doesn't do what you need it to do, it's not good value.

I think the battery in the newer model is worth quite a bit on its own. But then, I use my MBP on the go extensively. If you're using yours more as a desktop replacement, and don't rely on or need extended battery operation, than the older model might be your best bet. It will match the others in performance pretty closely, and has most of the same features. :)