Which 15" MBP? Blow my brains out!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by emrn, Apr 17, 2010.

1. emrn macrumors newbie

Hey guys, my first post here. ;) I am interested in buying a 15" i5 macbook. I would use it as a primary notebook and will occasionally carry it to uni 4 days a week. I will run photoshop, final cut, aperture and some gaming e.g unreal tournament.

What i'd like to know is, can the i5 2.4ghz give me the same almost close performance as the 2.53ghz? Will the 2.4ghz run all these applications well without any lagging or is it better off getting the 2.53 because it is way more faster than the 2.4? If so, can anybody tell me by what percentage?

Thanks! Help would be really appreciated

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

2.4GHz is fast enough. Save the money towards RAM, SSD or other peripherals such as external display and hard drive

3. emrn thread starter macrumors newbie

so does the 2.53 show a significant increase in speed from the 2.4? Because i don't want final cut to be lagging :confused:

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Not really.. It will be few 5% faster due clock speed so when you're e.g. exporting something, it'll be few seconds faster depending on the size of it

5. moel macrumors 6502

You'll be fine...and considering FCP doesn't lag on the dual 1.8 G5 I have at work....it sure as hell won't lag on any of todays mbp's! (That said I have to say doing some editing on my shiney new i7 mbp is a joy to behold!)

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"so does the 2.53 show a significant increase in speed from the 2.4? Because i don't want final cut to be lagging"

Probaby measurable, but perceptually insignificant.

As HellHammer wrote in post #2, your best course of action is to buy the 2.4ghz and use the saved money for other things. AppleCare wouldn't be a bad idea. Indeed, it might be worth MUCH more to you in the long run than .13ghz.....