Which 15" MBP do you think is right for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryanflucas, Aug 20, 2009.

1. ryanflucas macrumors regular

ryanflucas

I'm looking for a recommendation, thoughts, comments on which MBP unit I should buy. I've been considering a MB\MBP for about 6 months+ now and it does take me a very long time to make up my mind. :D

I would be using this for medium to advanced Internet use, some business management, and light to no advanced gaming. I want it to be capable of playing World of Warcraft & Unreal Tournament 2004, but it doesn't need to be perfect. I think I would use dosbox to emulate my classic DOS pc games then anything else. I have a Xbox 360 for my heavy gaming wants.

I dropped by the Apple store when I was around between client calls (I'm a IT Consultant, but work with PC primarily) to compare screen sizes. I know the components are identical, but I swear I can see a world of difference between 13" and 15". Maybe it has to do with the higher screen resolution on the 15". Everything just looks clearer. If it makes any difference I have had my vision tested years ago and it was better then normal. I'm pretty set on the 15".

So here's my dilemma. Do I get dedicated video or the regular 15"? Price is a factor for me, I would like to keep this below $2,000. I'm tempted to buy the Apple Care thru Amazon.com and register it manually since I can save over a hundred on the cost.

Besides 'gaming' is there a particular reason why I would want the secondary 256MB dedicated video over the standard 9400M on the other models? I may edit a photo every once in awhile, but anything heavier like video editing I'll just do on my iMac.

Have any of you had issues with the hinge being too loose on your new or refurbished 15" MBP's?

Otherwise in general I'm thinking 4GB ram, 320GB 5400rpm hard disk. I plan on then waiting about a year and then upgrading the ram to 8GB and possibly adding a SSD.

2. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

The mid-range one sounds like the best fit for you. Good luck on whichever one you buy. :)

3. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

If you planing to do alot of gaming get the one with the dedicated graphics card