Which 15'' MBP to buy that fits my needs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nahsor, Jun 12, 2009.

1. nahsor macrumors member

Hi,

After many months of deliberating, I have finally decided to dump my windows laptop and switch over to mac. However, I can't decide which macbook to buy.

I will be a junior in college this year and am a Finance major so I am not going to use any of the heavy apps like photoshop. The laptop will mostly be used to write papers, surf the internet, screw around on iLife watch tons of movies and also play light games (if ever, AOE III and probably some other RPGs). I want something that won't be completely obsolete in like 3 years and I plan on upgrading things like RAM and HDD if I need to.

I know I want the 15'' but then I am not sure. My limit is 2,000 (w/ student discount) and I am torn between the 2.53 w/ 250 GB and the 9400M and the 2.66 w/ 320 GB and the 9400M and 9600M GT. Is the upgrade from 2.53 to 2.66 really noticeable and will it make a huge difference down the road? Also, I am not a big gamer but will watch tons of movies and stream media so do I need the 9600M GT or will the 9400M work just fine?

Also, I plan on upgrading to Snow Leopard when it comes out and both models would be compatible with it but is one going to be much better?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

2. thec macrumors newbie

Just my 2 cents, but buy the most computer you can afford.....you will love the Mac. I still do all of my photos and video on a 2006 macbook pro and it works great. The biggest difference will be the 9600 or the 9400......again buy as much as you can afford....:cool: Plus the new 13" macbook pro looks nice:apple:

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

In your position I would go for the White MacBook. It's a great machine and has almost the same amount of power as the Pro models but it is much cheaper and it is better looking and more durable.

However, I know that white is not to everyone's tastes, so if you really want one of the Pro models go for the cheapest 13" model. It has more than enough power to do what you want to.

4. nahsor thread starter macrumors member

Well I was considering the 13'' but I want a bigger screen so I stopped looking at them. I am going to use my laptop to watch movies and stuff so the 15'' suits me better. Plus it is only 1 pound heavier so portability doesn't really get affected. My main concern is whether the 9400M will be able to handle the Open CL that will be brought on with Snow Leopard effectively. Or do I really need the 9600 GT.

5. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

You really don't need it. I was just posting about this in another thread. It only comes in handy with gaming and video editing I think. Search the recent threads for feedback.