Which 15" MBP to get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by m3kilpat, Jul 6, 2009.

1. m3kilpat macrumors regular

So I've had my eye set on the 2.8 15" mbp. I've recently been reading reviews about the 9400M vs 9600M GT and most people say they only use the 9400M. I was looking at the specs between the 2.53 and 2.8 mbp's today because of this and the only real difference is that the 2.8 has the 9600M GT and an additional 3mb of L2 cache...and a faster cpu of course. For a price difference of $600 do you think it's worth the price or should I just go with the cheaper model?

I will be doing a little photo editing, maybe a little video editing. Little bit of gaming. Nothing extreme. I am a computer science student finally switching to a mac.

Preferably I would like the option of better graphics, but not for an extra $600. Also, would not getting the discrete graphics be a mistake with snow leopard right around the corner or would it still just be a battery killer and really not worth it?

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't think your situation demands the extra graphics ability.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd imagine that the 2.53 is more than enough for your needs; it is still a stunning and powerful computer, and will readily deal with pretty much anything you can throw at it. Sure, there is always going to be a bigger/better/faster machine around the corner, but what is available just now is excellent. Get the 2.53 and enjoy it. Alternatively, you can always wait until the next refresh and then get the 2.8 as a refurb....

Cheers and good luck