Which 15" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 997.2, Feb 17, 2014.

1. 997.2 macrumors regular

I know there are tons of resources out there but I'm not good with the searching. Anyone know any good comparisons between the 2K and 2.6K mbp? Interested to see if the extra 600 is worth it.

Thanks so much.

2. simsaladimbamba

Maybe if you stated your computational needs and requirements (if known), we can help you make a decision.

3. 997.2 thread starter macrumors regular

I want a 15", I game, I edit videos, I do social media.

4. simsaladimbamba

What games do you play? Video editing can be done with the Iris Pro, but depending on your level of video editing, a dedicated GPU can make the whole experience that much faster, even some video gaming can be done, but if you are interested in the fastest frames per minute, you might need a dedicated GPU the higher priced model offers.

Maybe look on YouTube for game play videos using "macbook pro retina iris pro [game title]" or "macbook pro retina nvidia [game title]" as search titles to get some impressions.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you game get the 2.3 base model (the one that has the 750M). Odds are if you're asking you don't need the 2.6GHz upgrade.

6. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Depending on what games you're playing, you probably don't need the 750M. The Iris Pro (base model - $2,000) graphics can handle easy games like Diablo 3, League of Legends, Dota 2, Starcraft II, in high frames at high settings. What it struggles with are games like Battlefield 4, Farcry 3, and other more strenuous games, at medium settings. So if you want the luxury of playing most games of the future at at least medium settings, then shell out for the 750M.

That's what I'll be doing, next year (for the next refresh). Even though I couldn't care less about the faster CPU and don't necessarily need the additional storage.

In addition, you may also benefit from having the 750M in video editing, although I think Iris Pro is actually faster in that (you'd have both in the higher model). I forget the actual resource used for that.

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Look at the rMBP spec page to see the delta: http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

Personally I would want either a 2.3 or 2.6 with dedicated GPU, 16GB of memory, and 1 TB SSD. The 1TB SSD is for collecting photos on multiple week trips. If I did not do that, a 500SSD would be a gracious plenty because I put my multi-TB libraries (iTunes, Photos..etc.) on external drives.

At the Apple refurb store you can get a maxed out 2013 15" rMBP for around $500 off with full Apple warranty and of course it is eligible for AppleCare and for the Onone services as well. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If you match the processor, RAM and SSD on both Iris-only and Iris+750M models, they're both priced identically. So the 750M is basically a free upgrade.