Which 15" rMBP is the best value?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by s1nge, May 7, 2013.

1. s1nge macrumors newbie

This machine is already very powerful at it's' base config and price of $2199. But I am curious what you guys think is the best value among the BTO options?

Starting w/ the base model, I would upgrade to the 2.7GHz i7 and 16GB RAM. The RAM upgrade is the easiest choice, as it is the one option that cannot be compensated for after built. And only looking at benchmarks, the $100 upgrade in processor was easier to swallow than the $450 option, since the performance benefit seemed to start to plateau. For storage, I just didn't see the GB/$ value in upgrading to 256GB for $350. With so many alternate options here (like external storage and cloud storage) this deficiency can be solved.

2. thecurryman macrumors 6502

for me, the base model with 16gb ram works for me. I need a computer that will last 4-5 years and this looks like itd do that.

3. leman macrumors 604

Base, or - if you want - base with the RAM upgrade. Not much point in upgrading the CPU, unless you have some very specific needs (such as running video encoding all the time - but a laptop is probably not a good choice for it in the first place).

4. KevinC867, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013

KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

If you really want the best value, I would get a 2.3 GHz 2012 model, either as a refurb. from Apple for $1679, or new from BHPhoto for $1899 (and likely no sales tax). Either way, you are saving about $500 compared to the 2013 base model from Apple. (B&H even throws in a free copy of Parallels 8.)

Unless you are doing some very heavy-duty computing, 8GB should be ample. As far as storage, I am very happy with my 250GB SSD, augmented with a very portable 2TB WD MyPassport (USB 3.0) for about $140.

5. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

Non of the above, go with a classic. Don't reply to my comment if your arguments would be based on how a lack of optical drive or Ethernet or how thin it is or how nice the screen resolution make it better.

6. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Well then, how about the fact that the classic wasn't on the table as part of this discussion?

If that doesn't work for you, I'll add that my reason for deciding on the Retina over the Classic ultimately came down to the additional air intakes and their contribution to cooling, as well as the HDMI port.

To get back to the topic of this thread, if you plan on using BootCamp the 512GB disk is a must. Otherwise I think the only 'necessary' upgrade is the RAM, though I did get the upgraded CPU as part of the high-end shelf model.

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Not arguing your point, but you're avoiding and arguing the OPs actual question.

To the OP, Base model as a refurb.

8. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Base model refurb or as i did, got a 2013 new base model with 10% off and 18 months interest free.

For anyone in Australia it is on again for mothers day.

www.goodguys.com.au

9. abc123 macrumors 6502

If you need the 16GB RAM go with the base model new and only upgrade the RAM.

RAM, graphics card and hard drive will bottle neck you much faster than the CPU these days.

The 2012 Base refurb is $1679 so if you don't need to upgrade the RAM get that. It is not noticeably any different to the 2013 model and so much cheaper.

Alternatively the 2012 2nd tier is $2019 and boosts the CPU to 2.6 and HD to 512GB. Better specs than the base model and $180 cheaper.

Think about what you need and what you'll use it for before stacking on extra BTO options just because they seem like good value.

10. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

+1 for base 2.3 2012 model, but would say go with 16GB Ram.

11. Clocks macrumors newbie

I would go with the base model. If you're not going to be doing a lot of video editing and/or gaming, then just stick with the base model.