Which 15" uMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheBritishBloke, Jul 21, 2009.

1. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Hey,

I'm going to be ordering my new uMBP before the upcoming monday (27th July) as I have decided to make the conversion to Mac after some long, hard thinking. And since they announced the SD Card Slot.

My only trouble is this.

I have managed to narrow it down between the two models. The 13" Screen is not big enough for me, nor does it have the discrete graphics so it kind of puts me off. The 17" doesn't have the new SD Card Slot, which also kind of puts me off, as I do a lot of photography; I figured it is also quite hefty to pull out of my bag when I'm on a plane or on a train (I do A LOT of travelling).

My question is, I am looking for a Mac which will cover me until at least the refresh in late 2010. Due to doing quite a lot of photography as a 'heavy' hobby, and the often playing of online gaming (nothing incredibly heavy), I figured I need the 9600M GT. However, I'm not entirely sure as to which model to get, the 2.66Ghz or the 2.8Ghz. The processor speed is no object, neither is money, as the 140Mhz isn't going to make much of a difference, however I don't know if the graphics card with the 256-512 memory may cause that much of a difference.

Can anyone who has these advise on this?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Snowbound macrumors regular

If money is no object...why wouldn't you go with the nicer one? You'll feel better about it, and not feel like you could have had something better.

3. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Buy the model with the best graphics card. Also, if you really want a performance boost spring for the SSD.

4. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Regardless of money not being an object. I don't see the point in spending the extra £200 when I possibly don't require all the specifications I paid for.

I am thinking about an SSD. I currently have a 64GB Samsung SSD in my PC, however I wouldn't get it from apple. They want £280 for a 128GB. I can get that for £175 so.