Which 15in MBP (old vs new)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by remerolle, Jun 9, 2009.

1. remerolle macrumors newbie

Which 15in MBP (old vs new)?

Being a recent college grad who is quite frugal, I am looking to save some money while also buying my first Mac. As an individual who has worked in the IT field since high school, I have supported Apple products, and I am quite familiar with the ins and outs.

My Dilemma is this:

-Do I buy a previous Generation Macbook Pro 15in

-Or Do I buy a next generation Macbook Pro 15in?

Because I often do graphic design (for side work) and mid level gaming, I would like the 9600M GT / 9400M combo. The price points I have found on Apple and on other sites for the previous Gen(2.4Ghz w/1066MHz DDR3) with that combo range from $1300-$1400. My only complaints with this system is the lack of expandability to 8GB, weaker battery (this could be a deal breaker), slower processor (does not really matter). The new Macbook Pro 15in offers (theoretically) up to 2 more hours of battery, expandability up to 8GB, an SD card slot(do not care), and an improved LED-backlit display with 60 percent greater color gamut. Even with my corporate discount of 7% from the apple store, my total price for the new MBP 15in is just under $2,000 (tax included).

I guess for now this is a waiting game. I need to see the reviews, and what apple says about the expandability of the old MBP. I hope I do not wait too long and loose a chance at getting an older MBP if the expandability is addressed with a firmware update or something. I mean as many have said, the motherboard, memory type, and CPU seem to be pretty much the same between these 2 MBPs.

What are your thoughts and suggestions?

2. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

I think apple now supports 8gb on the previous gen unibody, either way it's a $1200 upgrade on new or old machines through apple.
    I'd personally go for the previous gen if I were getting one. In the canadian store it's $450 cheaper to get a 2.4ghz last gen over the 2.53ghz. The last gen has the dedicated 9600gt gpu and an express slot, while the new 2.53 just has the 9400 integrated and an SD card slot but has 2 more gb, though a 4gb kit for the last gen is only about $100 third party.
    Both batteries have a positive and negative, new one is longer lasting, old one is swappable and cheaper to replace.

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

With the refurb uni 15" MBP dropped to $1349, I put my 1 month old white MB up for sale and ordered the refurb. The older uni 15" MBP offered 2.4 CPU, better GPU, better screen, expresscard slot (I have 3 cards I couldn't use since selling my older MBPs), all for only $150 more than the 13" MBP. At that price and with the nVidia 9600, I can most likely sell my Sony Vaio and play all my games under bootcamp (no more lugging 2 computers everywhere I go but I'll miss that Sony's 1920x1080 screen).

The only thing my new MBP lacks is Bluray support and I'm one of the few folks with over a hundred movies on Bluray.

Cheers,

4. remerolle thread starter macrumors newbie

I am thinking about the future...like in the next 3 years when memory goes down much more. But then again...I will be getting a new Laptop probably in 4-5 years.

Also, I do not think that has been confirmed by Apple or tested to work with old gen MBPs by users. Unless Snow Leopard/firmware update fixes that.

I am eligible for the free Ipod touch through my Masters program. Though this discount would be like $10 less of a discount than my work discount on the $1999 (discounted to $1,849.00 ), I would get an Ipod touch which I could sell on for about $200. That would be under $1800which includes tax) after I sold the Ipod (already have a touch).

I could also do the same if they have the old MBP 15in in stock at my local Apple store $1599 - 100 & a free ipod touch to sell (after rebate). After taxes and selling the ipod...It would be under $1400. It also would not be a refurb.