Which 15inch Pro To Dual Run Win7

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by btrav13, Apr 13, 2010.

1. btrav13 macrumors 6502

I need some advice from someone smarter than I am in these matters for a purchasing decision. I want to get one of the new 15in MBPs and I want to dual run OSX and WIN7. Which configuration could I use that would make the process smooth (as in run smooth) but avoid wasting money on features I wouldn't need.

I was thinking of the mid-range 15inch with 2.53ghz and 4gb of ram. Is that enough or would WIN7 run terribly in such a set-up? Could I get away with the 2.4ghz and 4gb of ram or do I need to be seriously considering 2.66ghz and 8gb of ram.

I just have no idea what to pick for the optimal experience and I'd hate to just go wild and upgrade to the hilt un-necessarily. Thanks to anyone who has any advice on what I should be doing here.

As an aside, the WIN7 side is only going to be about a 25%-30% time usage, the bulk of my time will be spent in OSX, but I don't want the WIN7 time to be frustrating, laggy and slow.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Get the base 15" as the difference between them is unnoticeable. Save they money towards RAM and SSD

3. btrav13 thread starter macrumors 6502

So base 15, spend on the RAM upgrade?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, or get nice SSD as boot drive to REALLY see the difference. SSD will make MBP fly

5. btrav13 thread starter macrumors 6502

In your opinion, could i get away with skipping the RAM upgrade and do just the SSD or no?