Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
I want to add a 160 Gig internal drive as a second drive in the G5. OWC has Hitachi/IBM, Maxtor and Western Digital drives and they are all within $7 of each other.
Does anyone have a brand recommendation? I'm looking for a quiet, reliable drive for PVR recording.

TIA,
Rob

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
I love my IBM/hitachi, the stupid Maxtor in the computer is so loud that it really doesn't matter which hard drive you get but this one is very quiet.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Zeke said:
I love my IBM/hitachi, the stupid Maxtor in the computer is so loud that it really doesn't matter which hard drive you get but this one is very quiet.
I have 2 250GB Maxtors in my G5 PM. I don't find them noisy at all.

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
The Seagate is more expensive. I thought they were about the same cost, but I was comparing the 120 Gig Seagate. It's $119 at OWC. The 200 Gig is only $137. That's not bad.

Thanks for the input. It looks like it'll be a Seagate!

Reuven

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2004
Sydney OZ
Seagate has launched a new SATA HDD version 7200.2 I think its is, I just got one 160GB as well runs fantasic :D I would go with a Seagate they also give you 3 years warrenty on it as well :D

Eastend

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2004
Nara, Japan
mowogg said:
I want to add a 160 Gig internal drive as a second drive in the G5. OWC has Hitachi/IBM, Maxtor and Western Digital drives and they are all within $7 of each other.
Does anyone have a brand recommendation? I'm looking for a quiet, reliable drive for PVR recording.

TIA,
Rob

Rob go to http://www.barefeats.com/ and look around it, but somebody else already mentioned Maxtor, I think barefeats com is partial to them. Anyway look through their speed test and all around the site for information, Good Luck.

Brian

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
I always recommend against Maxtor, in my experience they fail more than any other brand of hard drive.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I have 2 250 Ghz Maxtors. I would have got the Segate but they didn't have 250's in stock. It's quiet compared to my 6800 GT graphics card so I don't know if the drives are loud or not.

I can log into my Powermac remotely from my Powerbook in the next room so it doesn't matter to me. And when I game on my G5, I crank the volume of my soundsticks.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Xeem said:
I always recommend against Maxtor, in my experience they fail more than any other brand of hard drive.

I second this. I always buy Seagate, which seem to be the cheapest here in NZ, despite somebody above saying that they're more expensive. Different markets with different prices, I guess.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
mowogg said:

TIA,
Rob

160GB? Pah! Thats girly size!

Go for as big as you can get, you will fill it. ;)

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
Samsung

Samsung's SpinPoint series SATA drives (80GB, 120GB and 160GB) are very nice. I have one in my G4 PowerMac (using a SeriTek SATA card) and am quite happy. I use it when capturing DV in iMovie and converting to DVD in iDVD, plus for general storage space.

They're also pretty inexpensive. NewEgg.com sells the 160GB model for about US$95 (that price actually went UP from a week ago when it was $93.50).

iPlm

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2004
Sofia
I have a 200gigs Seagate and it's great. As I saw in some benchmarks, Seagate is a little bit slower than some Western Digital's (not counting the Raptor), but I'm telling you, you won't have any problems with Seagate hard drives ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.