Which 16GB 1600MhZ for early 2011 15" ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hitrate, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Hitrate macrumors regular

Hitrate

Howdy y'all. I got some white screen boot up problems and a hardware test also shows one ram module to be faulty. So I'm gonna probably have to turn it in to see if apple covers it cause it might be that issue that the 2011-2013 mbps have..Anyway so i've ordered a samsung evo 850 500gb and an optibay, and need to order some ram also obviously..now I do music and video, and need a system thats as fast and reliable as possible, not either or, and needs to run music with a bunch of effects live with low latency and no hiccups!

So Ive seen that ppl have installed 1600mhz and even 1866 mhz modules into their unibodys..which specific ram modules would you guys recommend for my machine with my demands? I'd ideally buy the 1866 obviously, but dunno if its doable and stable on my 2.2 i7 8.2

looking at something like this since its cl9.. again, i need speed and reliability, that also means as low latency as possible..please help me out so i get the right ones without install, heat and kernel panic and other issues :)

Corsair

Vengeance SO DDR3-1866 DC - 16GB

Hukommelse (RAM), 16 GB: 2 x 8 GB (Dual Channel), SODIMM 204-pin (til bærbar), DDR3, 1866 MHz / PC3-14900, CL9-9-9-24, 1.35 V

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I would just go with what is supported. You will rarely, if ever, notice the difference between a 1600 MHz and a 1866 MHz kit.

3. Hitrate, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015

Hitrate thread starter macrumors regular

Hitrate

Got ya. Having 1600Mhz (which as far as I can tell, is a safe bet, even if it wasnt originally officially supported) would still give me a slight psychological boost, and I'm coming from 2x4GB anyway, so I think I'll just go with that..

Which one of these (or something else) should I go for `?

https://www.fcomputer.dk/hardware/r...x8gb-ddr3l-1600mhz-pc3l-12800-sodimm-cl9.html

http://www.proshop.dk/RAM/Crucial-B...erunner&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pricesite

http://www.proshop.dk/RAM/Corsair-V...erunner&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pricesite

http://www.proshop.dk/RAM/Corsair-A...erunner&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pricesite

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

If you are wondering which brands are the best - that's not really a question that can be answered. I would just with anything that is reputable, and avoid anything that states "for Mac" or the like and marks up the price accordingly. Memory is memory and it will work. I usually go with Crucial as they seem to offer the cheapest prices and are very reputable. I have used their RAM modules in a few different instances and never had any issues.

5. MushroomMan macrumors member

MushroomMan

I'm no expert, but I thought the 2011 (8.2) MBP only supported 1333MHz RAM, and that the 2012+ (9.1) MBP used 1600MHz RAM. Can you really use faster RAM with older logic boards or does it simply default back to the original speed, i.e. 1333MHz in the OP's case??

Just thinking that the 1333MHz would be cheaper than the 1600MHz??

6. Kristine macrumors 6502a

My partner has a late 2011 15" MBP and is running 16GB Crucial 1600MHz RAM without problems - it displays as 1600MHz in the system profile.

7. Hitrate thread starter macrumors regular

Hitrate

Ok cool, thanks for the feedback. I'm not that worried about the brands also, but sounds like crucial woiuld be a safe bet...i guess unless anyone has objections, I'll go for the second link I posted, as it has good CL numbers, and running on 1,35volt...(the ones that are in it now run on 1.5 volt..)

Crucial

Ballistix SN DDR3-1600 DC - 16GB

2 x 8 GB (Dual Channel), SODIMM 204-pin, DDR3L, 1600 MHz / PC3L-12800, CL9-9-9-24, 1.35 V, Crucial Ballistix Sport series

8. MushroomMan macrumors member

MushroomMan

Interesting - cheers for the new info. After a bit of research it seems a lot of people are in fact running faster RAM than the original spec. Some say the performance increase is negligable and others seem to report a significant difference - either way it can't hurt.