Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbb155

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2005
What are the main 17" models that we can get in a retail apple store in the USA?

sigma8

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2005
The "main" model is the 2.2 ghz Core i7 (2720QM), with 750 GB hard drive spinning at 5400rpm, and 4 gigabytes of RAM. All stores that are stocked, are stocking that. I checked the two near me, and they both have them. Anything else is BTO, and aren't available at retail stores (theoretically! see below...). The apple store I visited in person yesterday said that on a normal day, they _would_ install ram upgrades at time of purchase, but that does involve some genius bar action. He said they couldn't do it yesterday because they hadn't yet received the RAM modules.

However, I would like the 2.3 ghz model, and none of the stores around here seem to have it, despite the fact that there are dozens of results uploaded to Geekbench, and plenty of people in the forums here claiming to have purchased them from their local retail stores.

One of those two stores near me is the flagship Boston store, as well. I was kinda hoping they might have it. I don't care so much about the HD and RAM (which I can upgrade later) but I would like to shoot as high as I can with the CPU.

jimitha

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2006
Generally it will be the base 17" and possibly the top end (2.3ghz CPU upgrade) -- this is true at the large store I checked in Chicago. Unfortunately if you want antiglare at retail they only stock it in the 2.3 model. Of course there could always be an exception.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Called my local Apple Store. They only stock
the base 17" model.

I went online and ordered the faster processor
with 8GB ram.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.