Which 19-24 inch Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sarah3585, Oct 6, 2008.

1. sarah3585 macrumors regular

sarah3585

Hello, I've decided to sell my 24 inch iMac and get one of the new macbooks and an external screen. I'm considering a dell or samsung. I have a dual screen set up at work (1708FP x2) which is really nice.
    I'm use to the high quality of my imac alu so want something as near to the quality as possible.

The Dell™ E207WFP (£176), even though it's not one of their ultra sharp models seems to have good reviews. The Ultrasharp 2009WFP (£222) seems to have poor reviews and not as good as it's predecessors?

Would ideally like a 20inch as I have a smaller desk than I use to and my 24 inch imac has problems fitting on and is right in my face. Wanted a 22inch until I read that the resolution is stretched.

Also interested in the Samsung Syncmaster SM206BW 20 (£180) How does this compare to the dells?

Any advise appreciated. Thanks

2. p.luik macrumors regular

Stretched?

Why do you say that the resolution is stretched? My Samsung 22" has a nice resolution of 1680x1050 and it is not stretched in any way from my PowerBook or Mac Pro.

3. vorkorsigan macrumors member

New Samsung monitors

Hi

have a look at the new Samsung monitors. I got the T240 last month and the picture is great and it looks good too. The price is a lot less than Apple and the response time is fast if you want video or gaming. The res is 1920 by 1200.

4. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I think the OP is referring to the fact that 22" monitors have the exact same resolution as 20" monitors, so you're "stretching" the same resolution over a larger space. Not the best way to phrase it, really, but the point is that 22" monitors are a bad deal compared to 20" monitors. Especially considering that most are lousy TN panels.

5. bigdaddymac macrumors regular

I'm looking at the T240 as well. Is it a matte finish or glossy?

6. vorkorsigan macrumors member

The one I have is Matte, very similar to the Macbook pro but you need to use a different colour profile to get them the same. Use the Adobe RGB not the samsung one and it look s great.

7. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Then you should pay attention to the technology of the display you are considering. If you have a 24-inch iMac, the monitor is an H-IPS panel. You can look up H-IPS to see what that is.

I use an H-IPS monitor, a 26-inch NEC. The H-IPS quality really stands out, and I'll never go back to some of the "lesser" display panels, like TN panels (garbage).