Which 1TB external hard drive to get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kingshrubb, Nov 25, 2009.

1. kingshrubb macrumors regular

kingshrubb

Thinking of getting an external hard drive with 1 TB of memory to complement my Macbook Pro which is currently running out of hard drive space. Any suggestions on which is a good buy that is compatible (or are they all?) with the MBP?
    I usually look inside my consumer reports magazine but I don't think they have a section for external hard drive. Thanks and have a nice thanksgiving all =)

2. celticpride678

I bought my 1TB Western Digital MyBook around 5 months ago and love it to this day. I would get it again if needed.

3. Chrisulloa macrumors newbie

I bough a [re]drive from SimpleTech at Fry's for 99 dollars. 1 TB of memory, it works great. I highly reccomend it.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

whatever is cheapest.

"reliability" is just a word. ALL drives fail. the sooner you accept that, the better off you will be.

that said, I perfer drives where I know what kind of drive is inside, and drives with at least a 3 year warranty.

For example, a Seagate external uses a Seagate drive inside, but a Simpletech drive? Who the hell knows?

You just missed a 1.5 TB Seagate from Costco for $80, beleive they are $109 now, still a decent deal.

No, I'm not endorsing Seagate in anyway, just using them as an example.

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Yeah its a hit or miss inside 3rd party enclosures, generally theyve been Western Digital green drives from people i know that bought Simpletech drives.

there is a deal for a 1TB External at Fry's Electronics:
    http://www.frys.com/product/5832713?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
    $70

Id recommend anything from Western Digital myself.
    1TB Black for speed and performance, or 1TB Green for data back up and off storage.

MyBooks seem to be very favorable.

USB is fine, but if you can find something with FireWire 800 it would make it alot better for transferring larger sums of data.

Maybe find something you like here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150414 131021336 1310221288&name=1TB

6. freepeacesweet macrumors member

freepeacesweet

I would recommend Western Digital over others.

It's personal preference. I like the MyBook range though as they switch on and off with your machine plus the mirror editions 1TB & 2TB are user replaceable drives in the event of failure. So if you use a 2TB mirrored you only get 1TB of storage but you have a perfect backup plan if it all goes Pete Tong.

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Go for a model with FireWire 400 or 800 if you can afford it. USB 2.0 is too slow for anything but backups.

8. steveotron macrumors member

Target has the Western Digital Elements 1TB External Hard drive for $60 dollars on Black Friday. I'm picking one up to backup the one I already have. The drive has one of the best set of reviews on Amazon, Newegg, and etc. The thing is built like a tank, and unless you're looking for something faster than USB 2.0, I'd say go for that one.