Which 2.5 FW enclosures will pass thru bus power?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steffi, Feb 16, 2010.

1. steffi macrumors 6502a

So there's an enclosure that has oxford 934dsp and it has two fw 800 ports on it. I also have an OWC Voyager that has the same chipset and it doesn't pass thru any bus power and this is something that has to be powered by an ac adapter. OWC support told me that this is because of the 934dsp chipset and I'm skeptical of this claim. I suspect that there are enclosures out there than can pass thru bus power over firewire 800 regardless of chipset used.

2. steffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Oh I see what you're saying. I doubt any of them passthrough power. There probably isn't enough to passthrough anyhow...

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I have a G-Tech G-Drive Quad that connects directly to my Macbook Pro via firewire. Daisy chaining off the G-Drive quad is a G-Raid Mini enclosure ( 2x 2.5) connected via FW800. It powers up fine, but I honestly couldn't tell you if the host (The MBP) is providing the juice or if it's somehow sapping it from the Quad enclosure (which has an external power source).

So yes it is possible. The chipset of the G-Drive Quad is an oxford something.

5. steffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nobody expects to power multiple devices using bus power. The scenario I'm describing is when the first device in the chain has an ac adapter and the next device (last) doesn't. The idea is that bus power should be passed thru such that the last device receives it.

with my OWC Voyager Q this doesn't happen.