Which 2010 MP did you order?

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
1,316
6
Greets

Just placed an order for the 3.2 GHz Quad with 5870 GPU. :). Just doing lite video editing so I can't justify the hex/octo.

cheers to us all
JohnG
 

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
1,026
0
Sydney, Australia
6 core + 5870 + 2TB...

I'm a multi-tasking software developer + hobbyist photographer (14.1MP raws) + miscellaneous graphics.

I'm moving up from my early 2006 1.83Ghz Core Duo iMac ;)
 

keewe

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2010
75
0
6 core and 5780. gonna replace the 3GB ram with 3x4GB kingston for around 330€ as soon as the machine arrives.

i didn't pay by credit card, so i'll have to wait til tomorrow to so a shiping date.
 

ExplosiveDuck

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
4
0
Nothing Yet!

Didn't order one yet! I have to move a little money around before I can pull any triggers, but here's what I'm opting for:

8-core 2.4GHz
8GB RAM (4x2GB)
HD5870
all else stock

--

I'm doing the RAM upgrade through Apple because having 8 memory slots total with 6 taken up by 1GB sticks seems to just not be something i want to deal with later. I'll probably push this machine to 16GB quite soon and I didn't want to have to replace old sticks and then try and sell them or just lose the money on them. Seems like a worthwhile upgrade.

And the HD5870 is $180 more ($195 after tax for me) and seems like a worthwhile upgrade because I want to do some gaming on the machine.

Unfortunately I can't order today but should be able to order by Wednesday!
 

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
767
0
Wanting a 6 core, looking at the 3.2GHz quad.

Weird how, these prices make you forget what a bad deal the $2500 2.8GHz quad is that you starting thinking the $2900 3.2 quad is a pretty good deal. :eek:
 

corbuso

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
22
0
6 core, 8 GB RAM, + trackpad.

And my 128 GB SSD colossus has just arrived.

Photography (25 Mo Raw)+ some little video, so the 5770 should be fine (at least for the time being) and considerably less power hungry

Next purchase will be a Blu-Ray burner
 

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
1,145
0
Wanted a 6 core, but think I'll go with 8-core 2.4ghz. Less bottlenecking on multicore apps, more futureproof, 6gb standard memory, and cheaper...can't justify getting the 6 core with all of those considerations.
 

MacSince1985

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2009
327
232
Weird how, these prices make you forget what a bad deal the $2500 2.8GHz quad is that you starting thinking the $2900 3.2 quad is a pretty good deal. :eek:
Agreed. It's a good speed jump for $400, including a shift from older Nehalem to Westmere (although I don't know what the exact difference is).
Edit: they are both Nehalem. So the advantage is minimal.

I got the 8-core.
 

Sleephartha

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
41
0
Las Vegas, NV
Going in to buy/order mine from the Apple store today along with the Airport Extreme, and Bluetooth Intuos 4. I'm planning on getting the base quad-core 2.8. Any thoughts on whether I should drop the extra $400 on the 3.2 version? I'm trying to be frugal but if the 3.2 is a no-brainer great upgrade to those who know hardware better than I I'll go for it... ; ) thanks...
 

eponym

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
297
3
6 core + 5870 + 2TB...

I'm a multi-tasking software developer + hobbyist photographer (14.1MP raws) + miscellaneous graphics.

I'm moving up from my early 2006 1.83Ghz Core Duo iMac ;)
OMG

You're gonna feel like this:

 

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
1,316
6
Going in to buy/order mine from the Apple store today along with the Airport Extreme, and Bluetooth Intuos 4. I'm planning on getting the base quad-core 2.8. Any thoughts on whether I should drop the extra $400 on the 3.2 version? I'm trying to be frugal but if the 3.2 is a no-brainer great upgrade to those who know hardware better than I I'll go for it... ; ) thanks...
The 2.8 is actually the better buy (as compared to the 3.2) from a performance/dollar perspective. Apple prices upgrades so that the $/mips goes up for each upgrade. Rat bastards ~~~~~~~~~~~ :D

That said, I figured the 3.2 is a reasonable step up in performance and more importantly will keep me from envying the 2.93 GHz imac. hahahahaha.

cheers (to the longs)
JohnG
 

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
1,026
0
Sydney, Australia
OMG

You're gonna feel like this:

Haha.

Well, that's what I'm hoping!

Actually, the machine probably won't reach its full potential till i get 3rd party RAM. I'll have to live on the measly stock 3GB (hey, it's 1GB up from the max 2GB in my iMac), till i can get 12 or even 16GB.
 

MacSince1985

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2009
327
232
Going in to buy/order mine from the Apple store today along with the Airport Extreme, and Bluetooth Intuos 4. I'm planning on getting the base quad-core 2.8. Any thoughts on whether I should drop the extra $400 on the 3.2 version? I'm trying to be frugal but if the 3.2 is a no-brainer great upgrade to those who know hardware better than I I'll go for it... ; ) thanks...
In terms of processor speed, you get 14% speed increase (2.8 to 3.2) for a 16% price increase ($2500 to $2900).
 

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
14,834
7,394
Still waiting to see what kind of haircut the '09s get.

If I do end up w/ a '10 it will probably be a 3.2 QC. I'll load it up w/ 3rd party RAM myself. However, still a possibility I might go w/ the base 2.4 8core and call it a day, but right now I'm thinking I'll be better off w/ faster clock spend than 2x slower chip w/ the s/w I use most. I'm hoping MW might get a test machine in before they start officially shipping.
 

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
767
0
Going in to buy/order mine from the Apple store today along with the Airport Extreme, and Bluetooth Intuos 4. I'm planning on getting the base quad-core 2.8. Any thoughts on whether I should drop the extra $400 on the 3.2 version? I'm trying to be frugal but if the 3.2 is a no-brainer great upgrade to those who know hardware better than I I'll go for it... ; ) thanks...
The 3.2 is not a no brainer, but it's a better speed jump than say 2.66 to 2.8.

The 2.8 is no slouch and if that $400 goes to an SSD, you'd have a very fast computer.

The case for the 3.2 is that you are already spending $2500, might as well spend $2900. lol
 

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
767
0
Wanted a 6 core, but think I'll go with 8-core 2.4ghz. Less bottlenecking on multicore apps, more futureproof, 6gb standard memory, and cheaper...can't justify getting the 6 core with all of those considerations.
What really gets me about the 8 core is that the CPUs run at 2.4 instead of 3.33. So in most use, the 3.33 will feel faster, and even during compression and rendering they are going to be close.

I'd get the 6 core since day in and day out it will feel like the faster computer.
 

Sleephartha

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
41
0
Las Vegas, NV
The 2.8 is actually the better buy (as compared to the 3.2) from a performance/dollar perspective. Apple prices upgrades so that the $/mips goes up for each upgrade. Rat bastards ~~~~~~~~~~~ :D

That said, I figured the 3.2 is a reasonable step up in performance and more importantly will keep me from envying the 2.93 GHz imac. hahahahaha.

cheers (to the longs)
JohnG
I like the reasoning re: the imac comparison... ; )
 

petitrouge

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2009
11
0
Going in to buy/order mine from the Apple store today along with the Airport Extreme, and Bluetooth Intuos 4. I'm planning on getting the base quad-core 2.8. Any thoughts on whether I should drop the extra $400 on the 3.2 version? I'm trying to be frugal but if the 3.2 is a no-brainer great upgrade to those who know hardware better than I I'll go for it... ; ) thanks...
pretty much ditto for me. dang, bluetooth intuos4. i have an intuos4 but got it before they introduced that one. :mad:
 

mism

macrumors member
May 25, 2010
83
0
Forgive me as I've posted this elsewhere, but its not often you get to be excited about this kind of purchase.

12 core 2.66
8GB
ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB


I agree with ExplosiveDuck that I don't want 6 x 1 gig sticks. Stuck with 8GB as I'm already pushing my budget and its the easiest thing to upgrade in the future.
It will be used for Cinema 4D, Maxwell, Photoshop, Illustrator, Final Cut, Motion...

Can't wait, here's to us all finally getting the power we've been craving :)
 

ZeissmeisteR

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
14
0
London, United Kingdom
Havent ordered it yet, but will tomorrow;

2.4GHz Dual Quad/6Gb/1TB/ATI 5870 - with 20% Institution discount :D

Upgrading to 12 most likely within a few months, as well as hopefully adding 2 more 1TB, and a 160GB SSD as a boot drive (whenever i can afford it).
 

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
1,824
0
Still waiting to find out about Apple retail availability, but I'll probably end up ordering online.

Getting the 2.8Ghz Quad, then adding 8GB of RAM 3rd party. I'll be using it for video editing (FCP) and 3D modeling/rendering. (Blender 2.5 for now, possibly Maya or Cinema 4D by the time I get rid of this box). Also, a good deal of Photoshop working on textures and the like (those HDR environment maps can get BIG)

Getting the iPod too, and the $200 student discount. I'm just gonna give the iPod to a family member, since I already have an iPhone 4.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.