Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acterveld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
Hi,

I've been looking into buying a laptop for the next school year, and then for a computer science degree in September 2013.

I've decided I'd like (my first) MacBook, however I'm torn on the decisions and what is suitable for a comp sci degree in terms of processing power.

Keep in mind, I currently have a windows desktop I built my self with the current specs:
Intel i7 2600k 3.4 ghz (with an OC profile for 4.2)
8GB 1600mhz RAM, easily upgradable.
Nvidia GTX570 (one day a 680)
64GB OS SSD
1TB caviar black HDD
1TB external.

On this PC I mainly play games, browse the web, email, Facebook etc. all the normal stuff.

I plan to take this to Uni with me but I also want something to take around for a pleasant efficient experience for basic tasks, and my desktop can be my gaming machine.

Originally I looked at the retina MBP but the lack of user customisation worries me as I really want to get life out of it, plus it may be a little over kill.

As for my budget I can always save a little more so don't worry, I just want a MacBook for browsing the web, PowerPoint / word, social networking, reddit, then programming once I start Uni although I'll also use my desktop and school work station and just Dropbox them all to share files.

What would you guys suggest? Will a mac feel sluggish compare to my desktops SSD? Would it be worth buying a low end 15" with high res display then upgrading as I go along?

HELP!

also sorry for the formatting I'm on my phone

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
As for my budget I can always save a little more so don't worry, I just want a MacBook for browsing the web, PowerPoint / word, social networking, reddit, then programming once I start Uni although I'll also use my desktop and school work station and just Dropbox them all to share files.

Even a refurbished Mac notebook would suit your needs perfectly fine. Programming doesn't require the latest and greatest in terms of CPU power.

Acterveld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
Even a refurbished Mac notebook would suit your needs perfectly fine. Programming doesn't require the latest and greatest in terms of CPU power.

I was thinking that but as I can get a 15% university discount through a friend surely I should make the most of that?

Thanks

Acterveld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
Sure. It's up to you of course; but I don't think you should feel any obligation to spend past the basic options. 4 GB RAM and the standard processors will be fine for you.

13" or 15"? I heard 13"s resolution makes it feel very crowded on the pro.

jaguar451

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2002
Portability or screen real estate on the go? Honestly sounds like a 13" Air or Pro would meet your needs. Air is lighter with higher screen resolution; pro has faster CPU, more ports, a bit more expandabiliy (add an SSD as well as aftermarket RAM.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.