Which 2012 model to get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Jul 7, 2012.

1. hajime, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012

hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, I have been using the 17" MBPs for many years. I want to get a lighter computer. I am trying to decide between the 2012 15" MBP and the 15" MBP Retina Display. What suggestions do you have?

The Retina Display model seems to be lighter but I do not know if I can stand the reflexive screen. A very short period of use at the Apple Store did not cause any eye strain problem. I am a programmer and I spend many hours each day on the computer reading, writing and programming. All my MBPs have matte screen. I don't play games but I do 3D animations and simulations. Do these two models generate the same amount of heat and noise?

Also, what are the problems with these two latest models? I heard of ghosting problem with the Retina Display model. Thanks.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

The screen on the rMPB is similar to that of the Air (apart from the higher resolution). While it isn't a matte display, it is far less reflective than the standard MacBook Pro display since there is no glass cover.

I have used an Air for over 4 years, and am rarely bothered by reflection. Sure, in direct sunlight it can get annoying, but I use it on planes all the time without a problem.

Ghosting on the rMPB seems to be an isolated issue.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

According to engadget, "Right now, seemingly every third-party app on the Mac looks terrible."

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/13/apple-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/

It has been a few weeks since the article was published. Is the situation still the same? If I connect the rMBP to a third party external monitor, I will not have such problem at least on the external display. Am I right?

4. TLewis macrumors 65816

This is all a matter of your personal preferences, not ours.

That said, I'll start by stating the obvious:

• If you're sufficiently skilled, the MBP is much more fixable/upgradeable than the rMBP. In particular, the MBP battery can be replaced; with the rMBP, you have to send it in to Apple, at a cost of about $200. Also, with the rMBP, you're stuck with whatever RAM you have, as that's not upgradeable.
    • Note that the MBP has a BTO 1680x1050 display (glossy or antiglare).
    • Yes, you can buy a base MBP and then upgrade the memory/disk to be similar to an rMBP, but you may end up spending close to the base rMBP, or maybe even more (especially if you upgrade the MBP display).
    • The MBP does NOT have the asymmetric cooling fans that the rMBP and MBA have.
    • The MBP is about a pound heavier.

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks. 8GB RAM is sufficient for my laptop. I don't plan to upgrade. I will buy a powerful desktop for heavy simulations work. My workplace will pay for these. What are the advantages and disadvantages of having asymmetric fans? I don't know how small the characters are. I am using a 17" MBP 2010 now. The resolution is 1920x1200. I feel ok with the default font size.

6. TLewis macrumors 65816

7. Greg M macrumors 6502

If the programs you use look good on the retina then get it, if they don't then stay away from a retina until they're updated.

BTW, the retina does have glass but it has far less glare then the regular MBP. It's very similar to the MBA. I have all 3 in my household so I'm not going on other people's opinions.

I can't stand using the MBP's glossy screen if there are any lights on. The MBA is fine and the newer ones are great outside in the sunlight. The retina does have some glare but it's not that bad. The clarity, color and contrast more then make up for any times that I have to deal with glare. It isn't as bright as the MBA so t's not as easy to use outside.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This is where I think the retina MBP will really come into play. Use a retina compatible app like coda2 and the screen will look gorgeous. I'd recommend this over the classic MBP because once you factor in an SSD in the cMBP, you'll be near the cost factor of the rMBP.

I've used glossy and matte screens for years and since being on glossy for the past few, I've not really noticed a huge problem. You will need to ensure the lighting is set up optimally but that's usually a problem. That is you don't want a light source right behind you creating reflections

Things to consider with the rMBP vs. the cMBP. The retina MBP has no ethernet port, you either go wireless or use a dongle. The rMBP also has no optical drive, and the ram is hardwired in.

If those issues are not a stumbling block for you then I'd say go for it.

9. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the replies. Do all the programs look fine under Windows 7 or 8? Somewhere I read that things only look bad when running 3rd party applications under Mac OS. Please confirm.

10. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

Bootcamp or VM?

Bootcamp runs at 2880x1800 with DPI Scaling turned on by default and with Parallels/Fusion not 100% sure how they work in a window but fullscreen they 'should' be ok.

http://kb.parallels.com/en/114110
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1395376

11. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I use both but if everything is working fine under Bootcamp, then I can tolerate until VMWare has updated Fusion. Do both Windows 7 and 8 run equally well?

12. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

13. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

The rMBP has a serious security issue!, absence of security lock, which I believe would be addressed in the next revision. I don't think it would have been an issue for a lock manufacturer such as Kensington to design one that fits the rMBP. I think the issue comes from the Apple side, they don't have anymore room/space for a lock :rolleyes:

If you use your laptop at home then it is not an issue if you have a home alarm system :p. If one works in different places with different customers to make a living, he could get easily paranoid... especially at lunch time :D