Which 2016 MacBook Pro are you going for?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UnluckyXIII, Nov 8, 2016.

1. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

Just wondering which of this years MacBook Pro's people have been going with and why? Also, have you added any of the additional upgrades to increase the spec at all when doing so?

I've decided to go for the 15" (coming from a 17" MBP), I really was tempted to get the 13" as having something so small would have been ideal for traveling but I think the leap from a 17" to a 13" would be just too far. I went with the new colour option (Space Grey) with the following spec:

• 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    • 16GB 2133MHz memory
    • 512GB PCIe-based SSD
    • Radeon Pro 460 with 4GB memory

I did contemplate the slight speed boost on the CPU, but in real world tasks would I ever really notice such a marginal increase... most likely not, that coupled with the additional £180 charge was enough to keep me happy on the 2.7GHz (TB 3.6GHz).

RAM and Storage isn't so much of a problem for me, I don't find my general workflow requires more RAM and then for storage I have both iCloud and an external WD "My Cloud" drive to keep files from cluttering up the internal HDD. I can always pick up a 64GB USB-C Drive or two should I need something when cloud storage is unavailable.

I decided that I would boost the GPU to the 460 with the 4GB memory, from the information I've read its expected to be on par with the likes of the NVidia GTX 960m which for me is the right compromise of GPU for this laptop. Sure other more powerful GPU's are available but just look at the power consumption, how they effect the battery life and that's before thinking about cooling and noise.

So, what did everyone else decide to go for from this years line up? (If your answer is "non", "neither" "too expensive" "not worth it" "doesn't meet my needs" "General negative comment" etc etc etc then no need to post tyvm :) ).

Cheers,
    XIII

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell