Which 21.5" iMac Configuration Is Best For Me?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gregpod9, Jun 3, 2014.

1. gregpod9 macrumors regular

I'm replacing my i7-4770k Windows 8.1 gaming desktop pc, becuase I quit playing pc games about two months ago. I'm going to order a 21.5" iMac this weekend. I have no room om my desk for the 27" iMac. I would like to know which configuration is the best for my needs.
    Base Model Config
    8GB or 16GB
    1TB FD or 256 GB SSD

High-end Model Config
    i5 2.9 Ghz
    8GB or 16GB
    1TB FD or 256GB SSD
    Nvidia Geforce GT 750M

These are the things that I will be doing with the new iMac:
    1. MS Office
    2. Internet use
    3. VM Windows 8.1

Right now, I'm leading towards the i5 2.9 Ghz iMac, because I think its more future proof with the dedicated GPU. Please recommend a configuration for me?

2. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

It may not be that much more future-proof considering your use of a computer, but the second option certainly would hold quite a bit more value for resale later on.

3. Habberkuk macrumors member

I would say that the base 21" base model should be fine except you might need 16 GB of RAM. A lot of RAM is always a good thing when using virtual machines. MS office and web browsing doen't require a ton of computaional power so you don't need a beasty CPU or GPU. Just go for as much RAM as possible. HDD or SSD is up to you.

4. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Find room on your desk for a 27" :p. You can pick up a 2012 i7/1 TB Fusion/8 GB/gtx 680mx for only 250$ more at 1949$. For that money you get a nicer display, significantly more powerful graphics, upgradable RAM, and a nicer CPU. It will functionally last you a few years more than the 21" iMac. The refurb 27" model is currently the best bang for your buck available. If you absolutely cannot fit a 27" monitor, get the 21", but the 27" is so much more worth it.

Matt

5. jg321 macrumors 6502

For your listed uses, I don't think you'll notice the difference of the higher spec. The only slight issue might be RAM, but I've never run Windows 8 in a VM, so don't know how much RAM it'll use.

I'd think long and hard about the storage though. I have the base 21.5" with 256GB SSD. Sometimes I wish I'd gone for the Fusion Drive, but I've managed to trim everything down (not keeping old TV shows etc).

Externals attached all the time get on my nerves, and complicate backups, but that's just me.

It's lightning fast though. Gorgeous screen too. 27" would be way too big for me.