Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James9000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Current system:
Mac Pro 2.0GHz Rev A, X1900XT, 4GB RAM
Dell 2007WFP 20" display

System requirements:
PVR/EyeTV
Web-surfing
MS Office under Bootcamp
Media server (small library)
Handbrake
Aperture - light use
Limited gaming - e.g. CoD4

Reasons for considering new system:
Not using current system to full advantage/ebay whilst still has value
Reduce power consumption/environmental heat generation

Potential options:
1. Keep current system
2. Mac mini - would need to increase from base spec under BTO - very pricey for what it is in my opinion
3. Macbook Pro - would like one but don't like how pricey the AppleCare is. Also wouldn't feel comfortable with it plugged in unattended all day during use as PVR, such use may compromise battery health too. Do not need portability.
4. Macbook - good price point for entry level unibody - put off by screen quality - real world user thoughts on this would be very much appreciated.
5. Which leaves me leading towards getting a new iMac at the moment...which iMac do people recommend? It needs to be a 24" variant. I suppose my question is do I need dedicated graphics?

Any advice or comments would be welcome. Many thanks!

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I'd say a Uni Macbook or Whitebook would do you good as the integrated graphics cards although weak should give you some fun on COD.

However since you have the display a mac mini could be a nice cheap option!

At the moment you can really look at either and decide whether you want the portability or cheaper mini desktop...

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
Since you posted in another thread wanting feedback, here's my 2c.

There's been reported differences in screen quality though my macbook screen is awesome, no problems with it whatsoever.
I upgraded the ram and HD size to fit more stuff and run slightly faster, which you might want to do too if you're an Aperture user (use Aperture 2 and it worked well even on 2 gigs of ram, works smoother with 4 gigs though). I use my computer for photoshopping and I use Final Cut Express and really, the macbook does me brilliantly.

If you already have a setup, and you're happy with it, then the mini's a good option too. I'd say either one or the other. By the activities you listed I'd say the Pro is overkill, unless you must have a portable with a larger screen.

Blair230

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
Near Philly
Id say either keep your setup, or if you are set on an imac Id recommend the imac with the GT130.

Just my two cents....but its probably worth less than that! :cool:

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
You say in point 3 (MBP) that you don't need portability and don't want to leave it plugged in all the time as to avoide battery problems, but then you conisder a MB in point 4 :confused:

tbh, just keep what you've got. The Mac Pro, although it might be overkill for what you do, you don't know what you will do in the future. Also, if you encode a lot of videos on Handbrake you will probably notice the difference by switching. Also, PVR, who might need more storage in the future. Would you prefer internal or external drives? Obviously with the Mac Pro, they could be internal

If you are set on selling, I would suggest an iMac

James9000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
You say in point 3 (MBP) that you don't need portability and don't want to leave it plugged in all the time as to avoide battery problems, but then you conisder a MB in point 4 :confused:

Willingness to leave Macbook plugged in would be driven by price difference between uMB and iMac.

If you are set on selling, I would suggest an iMac

I admit there is an element of "Oooh! Shiny new thing!" here, were I to go with an iMac which of the 24" variants would you recommend?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.