Which 24" imac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mpeacock, Jun 3, 2009.

1. mpeacock macrumors newbie

So I'm an architecture student and I'm going to buy a new iMac as soon as apple announces the release date for snow leopard, so hopefully late this month. I've already decided to buy a 24", but I'm wondering if I should buy the 2.66 gHz or the 2.93 gHz one. I don't know if it will make a difference in 3d modeling programs like revit & sketchup or even illustrator & indesign. because aside from just the processor speed, the only other difference is the graphics card. is it really a $300 difference?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Get the 2.93 with the 4850 graphics card. I also like playing with ACAD and 3ds Max and want to get an iMac. Although I'm not sure if the 4850 is mainly for gaming or also handles well with 3D apps.

3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Wouldn't you want to wait until the date SL actually ships?

4. MTI macrumors 65816

On the other hand, $300 could get you upgrades that can make the "lesser" processor machine more useful. Consider that, unless you have the faster processor sitting on the desk right next to you, how will you ever notice the minute difference in rendering speed? ;)

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

9400M is intergraded crap so if you have to do GPU intensive tasks or get more advantage of Snow Leopard $300 is worth it. If money isn't a bottleneck for you, get the ATI 4850.

6. mpeacock thread starter macrumors newbie

i talked to a mac rep at my local store & he told me that if you buy a mac after apple has announced the release date for their new OS, then you can get them to send you the new OS for free anyway. I don't know if this will work for sure.

7. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I don't know about when snow leopard will be available, but after WWDC there might be small speed bumps in processors and other things which would be good to take advantage of.

One thing which will make a difference dealing with 3D is definitely going to be the graphics. The main difference for graphics is the Nvidia GeForce 9400M (256mb DDR3 of shared mem) vs. the GeForce GT 120 (256mb GDDR3 mem). Spending that money for the graphics plus the processor bump might be worth it to you. http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

PS: srry, didn't see the comment about graphics. From what I gather it is a matter of shared vs. unshared memory, and depending on how much money you have. There is also the option of gettig the 512 mb of video ram with the 2.93Ghz, but probably quite expensive.

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Dude don't worry about SL, worry or think I should say what kin of hardware u will need.

9. mpeacock thread starter macrumors newbie

well i think if it was just the difference in processor speed i wouldnt care to get the cheaper one at all, but because I don't really know how the graphics card would work on my 3d modeling programs. like if i got the ati 4850 my cost would jump from 1400 to 2000$$, and if someone who knows thinks its worth it, then i gotta do what i gotta do, but like i said, im in college with a college kid's money.