Which 27" iMac 5k to get?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by djfmf, Apr 12, 2017.

1. djfmf macrumors member

So I plan on getting a 27" iMac 5k, but on a budget. I will probably bump ram to 16gb but when it comes down to hard drive I'm not sure which I should get, since I intend on buying a USB 3.0 SSD enclosure, SAMSUNG 850 pro for example. If I go that route to boot up the computer, should I just buy the 1TB model or opt for the fusion drive if all possible.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

If you are planning to run from an external then what does it matter....

I myself would get one with a 256gb ssd and run an external for files etc myself but that's just personal preference, I don't like the idea that a cable issue or an accident can cause the machine to stop while I'm working .

As for ram, its user upgradeable and very easy to do so just buy 16gb of the correct ram and install it in addition to the 8gb already installed for a total 24gb at a low cost.

If you are on a budget and have the option where you live refurbished are as new with all the same warranty options and are well worth a look you can get a better spec at the same price.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

iMac do's and don'ts ...

DO NOT buy an iMac with a platter-based hard drive (only). Too slow.
    DO NOT buy an iMac with the 1tb fusion drive. The SSD portion is only 24gb in size -- too small.

DO buy an iMac with the 2tb fusion drive. It has a 128gb SSD portion and a 2tb 7200rpm HDD portion.
    DO buy an iMac with a "straight SSD" inside if you want to. Very fast.

4. apppen1 macrumors regular

apppen1

I'd personally care more about the Hard Drive than the RAM because that can be replaced later for a cheaper price. Get atleast the Fusion Drive as HDD usually slow down overtime.

5. czerney macrumors member

An internal SSD is always going to be be better performing than an external one.

6. djfmf thread starter macrumors member

well since I am going to be on a budget and using an external SSD anyways, than opting for the cheapest iMac 5k with 1tb hd should be ok?

7. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

If you go the Fusion drive route, make sure you purchase a 2TB/3TB drive. The 1TB had Flash Storage of only 24GB, the larger capacities have 129GB of flash. I can't see rhyme or reason to hobble the 1TB drive asd 24GB will not even hold the operating system.

8. rbart macrumors regular

The 1Tb Fusion drive is not as slow as said here.
    I am sure people saying that have never used a 1Tb FD.
    You don't have to store all the system on th 24Gb SSD portion. You only store the most often used blocks, and with 24Gb you can cache a big part of the disk acivity.
    It's working suprisingly well.

9. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

No one said it was slow.

And an external SSD in a Thunderbolt caddy is as fast, or faster than the internal 1TB Fusion drive.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, since you're on a budget and will be using an external SSD, then there's no reason to spend the money on upgrading to a SSD internally. If I had my druthers, then the best option would be to get an internal SSD, but that's not always feasible.