Which 27 Inch iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ax19, Aug 5, 2014.

1. ax19 macrumors newbie

Hi. I am debating between getting 2 iMacs.
    The top tier one with the 256 ssd and the i7 processor upgrade or a refurbished one with a 3 tb fusion, I7 processor, and the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M graphics processor with 4GB of GDDR5 memory memory.

I don't need the extra storage on the fusion and heard that it is slower, which is what I am worried about. The graphics processor upgrade is nice but would it be worth the tradeoff?

Thank you !

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Yes the SSD is faster, but the Fusion is fast as well. There is a far greater difference in speed between a standard HDD and Fusion, than between a SSD and a Fusion. I have machines with both setups and they are both very fast machines. It is hard to tell the difference in most cases.

I always go with the Fusion as I require the additional storage and refuse to pay the price for a large SSD. I personally think the SSD's are way overpriced currently, especially for the size of SSD I would require. The Fusion are more reasonable and I have found do just as good a job with the bonus of additional storage.

I would take the refurb. You will be saving money and you get the graphics processor upgrade. You will not regret the Fusion Drive. They are quick. Like I stated earlier, I have both an SSD and a Fusion Drive setup in different machines and in almost all cases it is extremely hard to tell the difference in speed between the two of them.