Which 27" is best for me?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by medi.freak, Nov 28, 2012.

1. medi.freak macrumors regular

Hey guys, I thought, since everyone was wating on the new iMacs to be available, including me, you would have the time to answer me the same question many people are asking themselves right now.
    So here we go:

I am a student, so that explains the discounted prices ;)

I just sold my previous setup and have max (absolutely max, wouldn't mind spending less) -2000€ to spend on my new 27" iMac.

Here is what I do on my desktop:

Surf the web (Facebook etc)
    light gaming (stuff like Sims3 mostly, not very often)
    Uni work, nothing heavy (med student, mostly pdfs and evernote stuff)
    media (watching and streaming video)
    photography (converting my analog camera pictures into digital ones, not so much photoshop, more light room software)

I come from a MBP 15" 2011 high end model, but decided to get a 2011 macbook Air and one of the new iMacs

here are my options:

iMac 2,9Ghz 8GB RAM 1TB Fusion Drive - 1874 €

iMac 3,2Ghz 8Gb Ram 1TB Fusion Drive - 2022€

iMac 3,2 Ghz 8GB RAM 1TB HDD - 1802 €

I want to keep this mac until I am done with college (roughly 5 years) at least! So what do you guys suggest I do?

Thanks for the help!

2. FuriousGreg macrumors member

The photo stuff is what you will see performance differences in. If you're doing full sized HD+ prints the more RAM the better. Fusion drive will speed up loading and saving files, especially noticeable with large ones, but you probably won't notice the difference between the 2.9 and the 3.2 processor.

I would go for either one with the Fusion and grab some aftermarket RAM in a few months.

Remember to take into account AppleCare...

3. AppleMooseMan macrumors regular

I agree, take the "iMac 2,9Ghz 8GB RAM 1TB Fusion Drive - 1874 €"
    Then buy some extra ram with the remaining money, at crucial.

4. medi.freak thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, that helps a lot, thanks.
    I was originally opting for the 3,2 processor, but I guess I really don't do that CPU excessive stuff. I will buy Apple Care for it sometime during the first year, so I guess I still have time to save up some money for that..

I will go with the 2,9Ghz 8RAM 1TB Fusion Drive for 1874€ then....I really hope it will ship in 2-3 weeks when I preorder on friday... but I don't get my hopes up just yet.

Does anyone know if normally in Europe supply chains are slower than in the US or if they are faster due to less demand?