Which 2GB DDR2-667 SO-DIMM for my MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jack Flash, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

I'm thinking of taking the jump and upgrading my MacBook's final component and maxing the RAM at 3GB.

I have OEM Apple Ram inside (2X1GB) and would like to know which SO-DIMM would match it best.

2. Matek macrumors 6502a

You don't need to match it, you will need to take your existing two modules out anyway and put in 2x2GB (there are only two slots).

That aside, you can get any memory, as long as its a 2 GB DDR2 667 SODIMM module, I got the cheapest available (Adata) and I have been very satisfied (it comes with lifetime warranty so i don't really worry). Since all newer Macs are based on generic PC hardware, memory compatibility is no longer a problem, although some producers still try to trick you into buying special "mac memory" that is exactly the same as any other memory (except they perhaps tried if it works).

Also, don't worry about memory speed. There is no point in buying faster, 800 MHz memory, because it will still work at 667.

3. Jack Flash thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't really want to spend money on RAM I can't sue. Can I not just buy a 2GB SO-DIMM to pair with one of my 1GB SO-DIMMs?

4. Uoila macrumors member

Just buy one 2GB stick

Yes ... just get one 2GB stick. since your sticks aren't the same size you won't get the "matched" performance increase, but you will get the more ram performance increase. The general consensus from what i have read is that its more of a speed increase to add more ram than it is to stick with less "matched" ram.

oh yea... and it doesn't matter who makes the ram, as long as the specs are the same.

5. Matek macrumors 6502a

Oh, of course, i misunderstood, thought you wanted 4 gigabytes alltogether. In that case - what Uoila said.

6. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

7. thenewguy macrumors regular

Wait, I was under the impressino that MB's and MBP's could only use 3gb of RAM - is that not true? Does that change if you have Leopard installed?

Thanks

8. 119576 Guest

The Santa Rosa machines (into which category the newest MacBooks fall, aswell as the MBPs) can use 4GB RAM.

The last revision MacBooks can address up to 3.3GB (which is achieved by putting 2x2GB sticks in them)

9. thenewguy macrumors regular

So does that mean that if I have a MBP from last november, I can only do 3gb? If I have 2gb in now, I assume that means I need to just replace one of the 1gb sticks with a 2gb stick? Will the non-matched set matter?

10. Smurfed macrumors regular

If thats the last revision (2.33Ghz) then yeah you're gonna have to take one of the 1GB sticks out and put in a single 2GB stick, it'll work perfectly.